News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The British 9th Armoured Division.

The 9th Armoured Division was formed during WWII, raised in the UK in December 1940.

The division served as part of the Home Forces, & was disbanded in July 1944.

The adoption of the head of a giant panda as a divisional symbol is said to be representative of the division's non comabtive role, also as a pun on the German term "Panzer", but the divisional commander, Major General Burrows & other officers of the new division had been members of The 1st MMG Brigade of Eastern Command, the brigade had a pandas head badge derived from the "The Pandas" horse polo team to which a number of officers had belonged.

The embroidered felt version of the Division's badge:

Edited by leigh kitchen

What a great idea! I have a book (somewhere) with little vignettes such as this, but it's terrific to get them spoon fed to us like this. Keep it up.

Looks as though you meant to include a picture of the badge, but I don't see it.

Hugh

Sounds like they need to be in America - "Pandaing" - is'nt that an unsavoury offence over there?

The panda has emerged in your first post.

Of course, "panda-ing" is an offense common to politicians everywhere. :blush:

H