News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Similar to the ERII Aide de Camp cypher, but what is it ?

I am hoping someone will be able to pin down what this is. It is the same size as an ADC cypher for the shoulderboards but rather than being the usual ERII it is like a combination of ERII with the cypher used by Prince Phillip. Has anyone seen this before, and if so what is it ?

:cheers:

Dunno, my first thought on seeing the photo & before reading your text was that it was ERI with the Duke of Edinburgh's cypher reversed & intertwined.

If so, anything to do with The Duke Of Edinburgh's badges worn by Royal Marines (by Best Recruit or Best Bandsman or whatever?)or army cadet or civilian DOE Award?

Paul

The badge is the combined cyphers of QE II and HRH Prince Philip and it was awarded to the Royal Marines Portsmouth Division Band to commemorate the Royal tour of the commonwealth in 1953/54. I have attached a picture of the KC & QC versions of the helmet plate. The badge is found with a longish screw post to the rear.

Paddy

Hi Paddy,

Many thanks, your help is greatly appreciated. That also probably explains why it came with a GvR cypher badge. Unfortunately the helmet plate was missing !

Regards,

Paul

Paul

They could well have been taken off a helmet plate but what someone would want with a helmet that has 2 holes drilled in it I don't know. If you ever feel like selling or swapping the GVR cypher then please let me know.

Paddy