News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

United States Army Insignia

Rob C

I have recently come across a unit insignia badge that belonged to my father, and I am having trouble identifying it.

It is a triangular badge, divided into three colored sections, at the top is yellow, at the bottom left is blue, and

at the bottom right is red. At the top of the badge is the number three, and directly under it are a red lightning bolt

and and a cannon barrel crossed, with a black chain coming from the back of the cannon barrel and looping around

it and the lightning bolt.

If anyone could help me identify this insignia I would be extremely grateful.

Thank You

Sounds like it could be a DUI for HQs, 3rd Armored Division. The photo is what the division patch looks like but I think that the DUI for HQs, 3AD would be like what you described,

Bryan

Edited by Verdun16

If we are in fact talking about a metal insignia, it is worn by personnel assigned to all 3rd Armored Division units that are not authorized distinctive unit insignia in their own right (Band, Military Police, Division Headquarters, Brigade Headquarters and the like) as opposed to Infantry, Armor, Cavalry, Artillery, Signal, Engineers, Aviation, Mainenance, Support & Transportation (Service), Medical and Air Defence all of which do have their own DUI.

If it is the cloth shoulder patch, it is worn by all personnel assigned to the division and units assigned (not attached) to the division.

Ludwig

Edited by W McSwiggan

• 4 weeks later...

I also have a similar patch but with a "1" in the top section. I guess this would be the 1st Armored Division. The red section seems faded, but maybe was made that way. Can anyone guess the age of this patch? It looks like it was cut from a uniform.

Yup - First AD - all the Armored Divisions used the same insignia with two exceptions - first - obviously is the numeral. Second is the use of a divisional name in a rectangle below the patch as seen in the earlier example. 1 AD was Old Ironsides. Judging from the appearance of this patch, I'm guessing WWII vintage. Interesting that the "Old Ironsides" name is missing either lost or suggesting a very early patch pre-dating the "naming".

I also have a similar patch but with a "1" in the top section. I guess this would be the 1st Armored Division. The red section seems faded, but maybe was made that way. Can anyone guess the age of this patch? It looks like it was cut from a uniform.

Yup - First AD - all the Armored Divisions used the same insignia with two exceptions - first - obviously is the numeral. Second is the use of a divisional name in a rectangle below the patch as seen in the earlier example. 1 AD was Old Ironsides. Judging from the appearance of this patch, I'm guessing WWII vintage. Interesting that the "Old Ironsides" name is missing either lost or suggesting a very early patch pre-dating the "naming".

Many of those "name" rectangles were actually separate patches, not part of the actual unit patch, especially in the WW2 and Korean War eras. Thus, it is not uncommon to see the basic patch without the rectangle.

Bob, I can't tell from the picture-- is that "1" an arabic or a roman numeral? If Roman "I", then it would be First Armored Corps, not First Armored Division. Doc

It's an Arabic "1". The fabric is cut pretty close to the bottom embroidery, so if there was another rectangle patch, it wouldn't have been directly touching the triangle like in the previous example. Thanks all for the info!

Many of those "name" rectangles were actually separate patches, not part of the actual unit patch, especially in the WW2 and Korean War eras. Thus, it is not uncommon to see the basic patch without the rectangle.

Bob, I can't tell from the picture-- is that "1" an arabic or a roman numeral? If Roman "I", then it would be First Armored Corps, not First Armored Division. Doc