News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

defense of the motherland

Hi all!

I have a quick question!

Recently i managed to obtain, after a 3 year search, a 1st class Romanian 'Defense of the Motherland'. It cost a wee 75 pounds (sorry! my laptop does not seem to have a U.K. 'pound' symbol!!!)

Would this be a 'good' price? I have seen the 3rd class going for $250 U.S., so i am assuming i got a bargain!?

Also, in the past i have been offered a Romanian 'Hero of Labour' for 75 pounds; like a stupid, stupid fool i declined!!!!! But is this a general price for the 'gilt-brass' versions, or did i let go of a once in a life time offer?

Bifter,

First, regarding the Hero of Labour; a bit over $100 US is about right for the gilded brass version if it's an RSR ('65-'89) version. The RPR will cost more; maybe around $150-175 US.

There are four (4) versions of the Defense of the Motherland; two RPR ('47-65) and two RSR ('66-'89) versions. They are identified by differences in the State seal:

1. Rare is the RPR seal without the star above ('47-'50). This is, as far as I can tell, the only award to have this particular version of the State seal on it.

2. Rare is the RPR seal with the star above ('50-'65)

3. Most common is the RSR seal that reads "RSR" in the banner ('66-'89)

4. Rarest is the RSR seal that reads "Romania" in the banner- last version ('89).

The going price for #1, 2 and 3 above, in a 1st Class, is anywhere from $125-175 US.

The 3rd Class for $250 US is over priced... these go for $75- $95 US on any given day.

Hope this helps.

Greg