News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Regimental numbers on your medal

This is probably a simple question but...

When did regimental numbers start to appear in the naming of medals? My earliest is on GREAT BRITAIN - Afghanistan Medal 1878-80, w/ bar "Kabul", "Kandahar", named (sloping capitals), 1212 Pte J Hanslow, 9th Lancers

London, 1987

And when did they begin assigning regimental numbers?

Thanks for your help.

Hugh

Hugh,

I've seen regimental numbers included on the Ghuznee 1839 and Cabul 1842 British campaign medals but these were often named up by the recipient so there is no consistency as to whether a regimental number was or was not included.

Paul

Hugh,

I've seen regimental numbers included on the Ghuznee 1839 and Cabul 1842 British campaign medals but these were often named up by the recipient so there is no consistency as to whether a regimental number was or was not included.

Paul

Thanks, Paul,

I hadn't thought about it before, but was surprised no numbers appeared on any of mine until Afghanistan 1878-80. Ghuznee / Cabul seem much more logical to me.

Best,

Hugh

Hugh,

Re regimental numbers. According to the 1992 publication by the Society of Genealogists titled "My Ancestor was in the British Army", regimental numbers were introduced into the British Army in the 1830s.

Paul

Thanks for this confirmation.

H

A more detailed reference to the British Army's regimental numbering system can be found in the following publication;-

"Regimental and Army Numbers of the British Line Infantry Soldier from AD. 1800 to 2008" by David Langley & Graham Stewart.

Thanks, Graham,

Just another example of the depth and breadth of knowledge on this forum.

H

A more detailed reference to the British Army's regimental numbering system can be found in the following publication;-

"Regimental and Army Numbers of the British Line Infantry Soldier from AD. 1800 to 2008" by David Langley & Graham Stewart.

Graham,

Any ideas where to find the book? I couldn´t find it even via BookFinder.

Regards,

Chris

David Langley is a member of this Forum and I believe the booklet is running into either it's 3rd or 4th edition and can be purchased directly from him. I'll try and find his PM address.

His Forum name is - david grumpy.

Thank you very much Graham. I have sent him a pm.

Chris

Guest Darrell

Thanks for this. Great image - is it (cringe) an Epson?

Hugh

LOL.

Actually I grabbed the imagine from this website :)

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/british_index.htm