News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Introduction into service: British Drab Service Dress

There is some dispute as to when this was 'introduced'. Army Order 10 of January 1902 described it and used the future tense:

"during the transition period and for some time after the introduction ....."

"will first be supplied ....."

etc

Perhaps those with regimental histories covering the period could have a look?

• 2 weeks later...

For your records - extract from St.Georges Gazette 22nd Feb 1902;-

3rd Battalion, Northumberland Fusiliers, Parkhurst Barracks, Newport, Isle of Wight.

"The Battalion is now served out with the new universal Service uniform and is quite ready to start for the West Indies, but no orders have arrived to date. It is rumoured that the authorities are not quite sure where Antigua is yet."

Both the 1st & 2nd Battalions were serving in South Africa at this time and I suspect they didn't receive theirs until returning to the UK, but I'll double check.

It does appear that the equipping of regiments with the new SD was a staggered affair as seen in more notes;-

NF Depot, Newcastle-on-Tyne, 24th May 1902;-

"During the month the first installment of the new Service Dress has been taken into wear by those entitled to clothing issue in May."

Oddly enough no mention of it's introduction by the 4th Battalion??

Edited by Graham Stewart