News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Golden Kite Question

Dieter3

I'm wondering about something with regards to 4th class Golden Kites. Peterson's book indicates that the 4th class award had the ribbon rosette added in 1937. This along with the sticky on how to date awards coupled with some observations have me pondering this and looking for clarification.

Earlier awards do have the rivets closer together, right? Do these typically predate 1937?

A few awards that I have observed have the ribbon rosette, but they would seem to be earlier awards based on the rivet pattern as well as the hook and catch mechanisms that seem more common on earlier awards (generalization, not limited to the Golden Kite on this).

I suppose it wouldn't be unheard of to add a rosette after the fact to earlier awards, or just replace the entire ribbon?

I know the documents are rare - but do these demonstrate the presence and absence of the ribbon rosettes in the image on the documents??

• 3 weeks later...

Saw one at auction last week, Meiji or Taisho if I remember correctly, I think Meiji. The picture was not big, so it was hard to tell - but it looked like there was no rosette on the ribbon at the bottom of the document.