News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

D. pl. Ing. Dr Ernst Eberhard Bolbrinker

Folks,

Bear with me. I know nothing about the German military, any period.

However, I am trying to find the citation or at least a definate reason for the award of the Knights Cross of the Iron Cross to D. pl. Ing. Dr Ernst Eberhard Bolbrinker (if i have got that right).

I am lead to believe that it was awarded for North Africa in early 1941.

The reason for my interest in him (and the DAK) is the action at El Mechili (various spellings of this) between the 3rd and 8th April 1941, where the 3rd Indian Motor Brigade's refusal to surrender until they were over run by DAK Mark III & IV's backed up by Italian Bersaglieri infantry and artillery on the morning of the 8th April held up Rommels attempt to cut off the retreat of Allied forces in Cyrenica and allowed the 9th Australian Division to get back into Tobruk and prepare it's defences. This was at a cost of approx 2500 troops still went into the bag.

I have read British, Indian & Australian accounts and now I want to see what I can find out 'from the otherside of the hill'.

On the 5th the first Axis troops arrived near the fort at El Mechili mostly infantry of Colonna Santamaria and German antitank guns of Vorausabteilung Schwerin but the initial attack was easily driven off.

What little I have put together is that the Axis forces available for the assault on El Mechili on the 8th were as follows:

5th Light Division Divisional Headquarters Streich (West)

Group Schwerin, (Gerhard von Schwerin) (North & North East)

Including Panzer IIc?

Group Bolbrinker [elements 1st Bn 5th Panzer Regiment]

including command PzIIC, & Pz IVD ? Schwerin reports he has 8 tanks by dawn of the 8th April ?

Group Fabris [elements 3rd Bersaglieri Motorcycle Battalion of the Ariete Divison & Santamaria reconnaissance Group ] (East)

Battalion HQ, (under Lt-Col Fabris)

1 Motorcycle company

142nd AT Gun company

2 Batteries, 1/132nd Artillery Regiment

Group Montemurro [elements 8th Bersaglieri Regiment and 12th Bersaglieri Autoporto Battalion]

HQ, 8th Bersaglieri Regiment, -Colonel Guiseppe Montemurro)

12th Bersaglieri Battalion HQ

72nd AT Gun company, with:

1 Battery, 1/132nd Artillery Regiment

2nd MG Group

Now was Bolbrinkers award for this action - is it possible to find out?

Also, where can I find detailed German & Italian accounts of this action?

Thanks in anticipation

Matthew

Edited by nwfrontier

Hello Mathew.

Per the Biblio Ref. book on Knightscross recipients , vol.1:

Gen.Maj.Dipl.Ing. E.E. Bolbrinker received the K.C. in 15.May 1941 as Maj. and commander of I./Pz.Reg. 5 in the 5.Leichte Division of the Afrika-Korps.

The citation lists as major accomplishment his actions in the Battle of el Mechili even though the strength if his battalion was reduced to 7 tanks.This entailed the defeat of an attempt to break out of the strong point and then attacked the fort and occupied it.

The results are described as the entire enemy defense system then collapsing with the capture of the staff of the 2.British Armoured Division incl. two generals and two colonels, approx. 3000 prisoners and the capture of considerable material incl. 30 anti-tank guns..

Additional actions included a combat at Agedabia on the 31.Mar.1941 and the piercing of the defense perimeter of Tobruk on the 13. 1nd 14. Apr.1941.

Bernhard H. Holst

Hi Matthew;

In April of 1941 Bolbringer was commander of the 1. Abteilung Panzer Regiment 5.

On the morning of April 7, 1941 Bolbringer was given the order to assemble the remainder of his battalion across the British Indian troops defending the desert fort El Mechili. Bolbringer engages, with only seven tanks and no support, the British and Indian forces at Mechili as they were trying a breakout. Bolbringer's Abteilung takes the fort.

According to the German account the divisional staff of the 2. British Tank Division including two Generals and two Colonels with approx. 3000 troops were taken prisoner. Further, 30 anti tank guns were captured.

Here is a link to the German text

http://www.ritterkreuztraeger-1939-45.de/Infanterie/B/Bo/Bolbrinker-Ernst.htm

• 3 weeks later...