News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Volunteer Long Service and Good Conduct Medal

Hello Everyone,

Here's a Volunteer Long Service and Good Conduct Medal (1884 to 1901) that has been mounted such that the reverse is shown in wear.

These medals were awareded for 20 years of service in the ranks, though officers could also receive the medal, being eligible on account of their non-commissioned service (from Medal Yearbook 2004,published by Medal News).

The ribbon is plane green and this one is unnamed. From the writeup in the Medal Yearbook it would seem these were issued unnamed. If any of the members know if these were issued named please let us know. The medal was instituted in 1894 and this one would have to have been awarded within the reign of Queen Victoria between 1894 and 1901 due to the use of the "old head"(1893 to 1901) on the medal. These meals were superseded by the Territorial Efficiency Medal in 1908 although they were awarded until 1930 in Burma, India, Isle of Man (Isle of Man Vol.) and the 7th Volunteer Battalion of the King's (Liverpool) Regiment.

The hanger is marked H.JENKINS & SONS BIRMh. The hanger has been installed so that the reverse would be showning in wear. Considering the condition of the medal I doubt it was ever worn so this would not have become an issue. This is not the first time I've seen medals put up the wrong way 'round and I have often wondered if these were ever actually worn in that manner. I doubt they would have been tolerated on the Parade Ground but once retired from service would they have appeared in public "backwards"? I would really like to hear what the membership has to say regarding this question, as always your input is valued.

Regards

Brian

This is a view of the hanger's maker's stamp. Over the years the loop that holds the tip of the pin has been bent fully closed so opening the pin is not possible withoout bending the loop out into the "C" shape that would have been original. I can't see doing so and taking a risk in breaking the loop just for the photo.

This is the medal as it would appear with the obverse showing the rear and the hanger in the position for wear. So the medal would have to have been worn with the obverse next to the uniform or jacket with the "Long Service in the Volunteer Force" showing to the public.

As you can see this medal is in excellent condition so it was probably kept tucked away until it went to market many years after it had been awarded. I do believe this is the original ribbon as well. I display it with the obverse showing and the hanger's "arm" simply pointing straight up.

Regards

Brian

As the suspension is of the swivelling type, the positioning of the mounting brooch is irrelevant. Victorian issues were generally awarded unnamed. However, many were 'regimentally' named (at unit expense) in either impressed or hand-engraved capitals - sometimes peculiar to locality (especially the Commonwealth awards), or privately engraved by the recipient after being awarded unnamed.

As the suspension is of the swivelling type, the positioning of the mounting brooch is irrelevant. Victorian issues were generally awarded unnamed. However, many were 'regimentally' named (at unit expense) in either impressed or hand-engraved capitals - sometimes peculiar to locality (especially the Commonwealth awards), or privately engraved by the recipient after being awarded unnamed.

The suspension would, upon closer inspection, indeed look to be of the swivelling type. However, it seems to have been "jamed" tight as if when it was produced the top of the pin that was struck to prevent the hanger from coming apart was done so with too much pressure. When I posted this medal I thought it was of one piece as it is so tight; being no movement what-so-ever.

If the damage to this part happened after it was awarded, which I now suspect was the case, it clears up that mystery.

Many thanks for your answer to my question, Tony.

Regards

Brian

Sometimes medals were worn to show the reverse, I've read that some men preferred to show the reverse rather than a row of same-same sovereigns heads.

This man of the AOC looks lke he's just careless or indifferent about it though, the medal with the QV head is reversed while he shows two medals with KEVII head.

Hi Leigh,

Thanks for posting this photo. Up until now I've never actually seen proof that this occurred, though I knew to did. As I said earlier it would appear that the medal I posted is of the swivel style, however, I believe it was seized from the date of manufacture. It's not something I would argue - and how could I not having been there when it was awarded? - but your photo would suggest that it could have been worn with the reverse side exposed. It's one of those mysteries that will have to go unanswered.

Thanks for posting the photo, that is a very nice group of medals regardless of how they were mounted.

Regards

Brian

Brian - I like LS & GC medals and they are a very collectible field in their own right. I'm always amazed at how much some of the rarer ones fetch. Obviously more interesting if they are named - but,that's how the early ones were issued. I liked the point about which way they should face - Leigh's clearly shows personal preferance - and since the public don't always recognise a ribbon, it's a way of showing what you've been awarded.

I recently bought a very good LS&GC to the British South Africa Police. Will post it separately as it may encourage a thread - however, your post should attract a lot more interest.