News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

B.S.A.P. - RHODESIA - LS&GC

I have posted this separately to Brian's post on LS&GC as I am hoping some of our members will be able to help with some info. on this quite rare medal.

Being King George 6th. it has to date between 1936 and 1952 - however, that is of this award - not of his service. I have been able to find very little about him , and yet, as an Inspector, he was quite senior - the Force being small in numbers of European members.

He is shown as Peter M. McDonald - no. 3048. I could only find one KIA under Peter McDonald, but that was under the Emergency in 1977 - perhaps a relative ? This medal , is of course, The Colonial Police Forces LS&GC. Very nicely, he earn't two bars for extra service.

Was he perhaps in the Military during WW 2 - or, if he was left in Rhodesia, was he eligible for the Home Services medal ? Any help will be appreciated.

Anything other than a cursory examination is speculative. But the medal itself would denote an award any time between 1937/8 at the earliest (GV issues were still being used up until then) and 1948/9 at the latest (the IND IMP obverse stocks were still being used for a while after India's independence). Given the two bars denoting a total of thirty years' service, this would place the last bar's award at 1967/8 at the earliest, and 1978/9 at the very latest. Given that imperial awards pretty much ceased after UDI, I would go with the earlier date, as Rhodesia did not become become a republic fully until 1970 and some imperial awards continued to be awarded for a short period even after UDI (as far as I can ascertain).

Mervyn,

Try the BSAP Association website at - www.bsap.org 1314

Mervyn - I now have the following -

McDonald, Peter McLaren aka ' Peter Mac', born Aberfoyle,Scotland,enlisted in BSAP 7.10.1928 in the Town Police Branch,in Salisbury S.R. with service number 3048.Completed 33 years service and retired on the 11.11.1961 as a Chief Inspector,holding the post of Town Inspector,Salisbury. Awarded CPM (Meritorious) wef 15.11.1946.,CPLSM wef 29.1.1954 and two clasps,1939-45 Star,Italy Star (interesting),War Medal and Defence Medal. Retired to become a beekeeper in Mazoe and died in Salisbury on 3.1.1976

1314 - thank you for that information. I am most grateful. The medal was accompanied by the WW2 ones you name - but we didn't think they were associated - S.Rhodesia - being British - did not name the war awards. The Colonial Police Medal was not with them - unfortunately, and I don't expect they can be re-united.

Once again my sincere thankyou for this - I wasn't getting anywhere and was going to follow-up on your suggestion of the BSAP Assoc.

Mervyn

Persevere. The CPM well may be around 'out there'. It'd make for a fine group. Interesting that he qualified for the CPM before the LS&GC (which one would have thought he'd qualified for in '46). Odd that he had to wait until 1954 to receive it - even taking in to account his wartime service in Italy. I would therefore assume (always dangerous) that he was temporarily released for service in the RAR. This would not have counted as broken service, rather a brief hiatus - much like the (retrospective) qualification criteria for the UK Police LS&GC during that period.

Persevere. The CPM well may be around 'out there'. It'd make for a fine group. Interesting that he qualified for the CPM before the LS&GC (which one would have thought he'd qualified for in '46). Odd that he had to wait until 1954 to receive it - even taking in to account his wartime service in Italy. I would therefore assume (always dangerous) that he was temporarily released for service in the RAR. This would not have counted as broken service, rather a brief hiatus - much like the (retrospective) qualification criteria for the UK Police LS&GC during that period.

Enlisting in 1928 he qualified for the CPLSM (after 18 yrs) in 1946,first clasp after 25 years (1953) and 2nd clasp (after 30 yrs) in 1958. The CPM Meritorious could be for an event not involving gallantry or bravery or for work over a long period.I will revisit my source and try to confirm.

Enlisting in 1928 he qualified for the CPLSM (after 18 yrs) in 1946,first clasp after 25 years (1953) and 2nd clasp (after 30 yrs) in 1958. The CPM Meritorious could be for an event not involving gallantry or bravery or for work over a long period.I will revisit my source and try to confirm.

Addenda - Peter M McDonald

Wife Marjorie, Sons Alistair & Ian

In WW2 seconded for duties outside Rhodesia,served in East Africa and the Middle East attaining the rank of Captain. Awards - CPLSM 15.11.1946 CPLSM 1st Cl 29.1.54 CPM Meritorious 1.1.1955 (NYH) in Supp to LG 40366 P37 of 31.12.1954 CPLSM 2nd Cl 17.4.1959. CPLSM awards would appear in the Southern Rhodesia Gazettes. - 1314

• 3 months later...

The expert on BSAP Colonial Period medals and especially the Colonial Police Long Service Medals is Brian Taylor (himself ex BSAP). Brian lives in the UK now and is always happy to provide information to fellow collectors. If you need his eMail address let me know.

Rich

Rich - thankyou for the kind offer. However, Tony and 1314 have given such detail that I don't think I need to add any further. The whereabouts of his CPM would be the bonus - unfortunately, I expect it is in the hands of a distant relative ! Why families split groups up to different members has always been a mystery. Best wishes