News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sorry I don't know where I lost the description. This is a belt clip Percussion cap pistol used by Cheshire constabulary. It is engaved on the octagonal barrell Hyde Division no 12.The lock is engaved Hyatt but this was certainly the supplier rather than the maker. The barrell length is 18cms and the bore aproc 1 1/2 cms. It has a swivel ramrod

Ian - a very nice pistol in exceptional condition. Do you have a date for it ? Somewhere around the 1850's I would have thought.

For everyone's benefit I will briefly enlarge on pistols and muskets in the regular Police. Named weapons are exceptionally rare - usually they were borrowed, or had them on loan from the Military. However, some Forces did purchase their own and had them named. Cheshire was one such and Ian has probably the largest collection of their named swords and pistols - hopefully, he will be able to show more.

Most Police Stations had an arms rack for swords - which could be issued in emergency by the Duty Officer. Similarly, pistols came to be kept at larger Stations, again for emergency issue - constables did not have firearms training in those days. The practise continues today and revolvers are usually kept in the Front Office safe.

Most people are under the impression that firearms have never been carried - wrong. Until the 1930's it was laid down in Regulations that a constable on a lonely - or, dangerous beat - could request a firearm be issued for his patrol. Swords were regularly issued to Constable's on lonely night patrols. They were particularly carried when cemetries had to be guarded to stop the ' Resurection Men' digging up newly buried corpses to sell to medical students.

Putting these named pistols into perspective - at one time I had the largest collection from different Forces - 12 !

Police swords - we found under three hundred still in existence.... Some time back - under this sub-forum, I did post a number of police swords of varying pattern.

Ian - close-ups would be great. Perhaps if you sent a photo by mail I could attach to your post - not that I know what I'm doing most of the time....

p.s. - I think this is the first Police pistol on the sub-forum ?

Edited by Mervyn Mitton