News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ok, I am stuck again. Who said feldartillerie is easier than fussartillerie? :rolleyes:

I am taking a look at Feld-Artillerie-Regiment General-Feldmarschall Graf Waldersee (Schleswigsches) Nr.9

From "251 Divisions" and from Chronik, I have found FAR 9 with 18. Infantrie Division ... but... but...

Only until Feb 1917; then FAR 9 disappears from the Division when the 18. Artillerie-Brigade is dissolved and the Artillerie-Kommandeur 18 is formed (keeping FAR 45).

So, any clues where the Itzehoe kanoniers ended up?

Please save me from going through my pdf copy of "251 Divs" page by page looking for FAR 9. :banger:

From "Handbuch der Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Heeres 1914-1918, Teil IX; Feldartillerie, Band 1 (page 180)

02.08.1914-25.07.1916 18. Feldart. Brig. (FAB) 18. Inf. Div. (ID)

26.07.1916-13.08.1916 18. ID

14.08.1916-14.02.1917 18. Feldart. Brig. (FAB) 18. Inf. Div. (ID)

15.02.1917-22.02.1917 18. ID

23.02.1917-02.06.1917 Arko 18 (18. ID)

03.06.1917-Nov. 1918 Arko 146 (3. Marine Division)

This is an outstanding series. Oddly, they have published two volumes of field artillery and only one on infantry so far.

The author of the series Jürgen Kraus but Hartwig Busche put together these two. They are published by Verlag Militaria, Vienna 2007.

If you like German WWI arty (and can handle German), then these two volumes are just what you need.

Andy

If I read correctly, this source states FAR 9 stayed with Arko 18 until June 1917 - rather than the February 1917 that the other sources suggest.

Curiously, "251 Div" places 9 FAR with the 3rd Naval Division only for 1917.

Thanks for the reference book tip; I would think the German source would be more accurate. (Fortunately, I am fairly fluent in German!)

I have been waiting to buy a bunch of books since I will be moving in a few months and need to be concerned about the shipping weight of our household goods. :whistle: Will add these to the list.

Edited by IrishGunner