News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Romanian Medals

Hello,

I am looking for three Romanian medals. Namely: Star of Romania both neck and breast badge in Grand Officer grade; Order of the Crown of Romania, Commander; and the Order of Regina Maria. No repros.

Can anyone out there help ?

Tim

Hello,

I am looking for three Romanian medals. Namely: Star of Romania both neck and breast badge in Grand Officer grade; Order of the Crown of Romania, Commander; and the Order of Regina Maria. No repros.

Can anyone out there help ?

Tim

Do you know the type and the division of the awards? Megan's site could be a good starting point to look for information on these awards.

Do you know the type and the division of the awards? Megan's site could be a good starting point to look for information on these awards.

I am looking for ones that would be issued during the 1st WW and Military divison. These three medals were awarded to a Canadian officer who had a love affair with Queen Maria and a confidant of the Romanian Royal family. He was also awarded three White Russian awards during the same time as well awarded a DSO from the British and a Croix de Guerre by the French. But yet no award, let alone any service medals, what so ever by the Cdn Govt.

If you look at the links page of my Romanian section, you will find acknowledgement to the dealers who have very kindly allowed me to use pictures from their catalogues - this might be a good starting point for your quest.

I am looking for ones that would be issued during the 1st WW and Military divison. These three medals were awarded to a Canadian officer who had a love affair with Queen Maria and a confidant of the Romanian Royal family. He was also awarded three White Russian awards during the same time as well awarded a DSO from the British and a Croix de Guerre by the French. But yet no award, let alone any service medals, what so ever by the Cdn Govt.

Is the officer Joseph Boyle? Some photos show him wearing the wartime Order of the Star of Romania with swords, not the peacetime military insignia. Are you familiar with the different insignia of the Romanian orders: civilian, peacetime military, wartime?

Is the officer Joseph Boyle? Some photos show him wearing the wartime Order of the Star of Romania with swords, not the peacetime military insignia. Are you familiar with the different insignia of the Romanian orders: civilian, peacetime military, wartime?

Yes the officer is Joe W. Boyle. I have two bios on him and in each it describes the awards. Not enough credit was given to him because he spoke his mind and rubbed some of the higher officials the wrong way. I think they should do a movie about him. I am becoming more familiar with the grades of the awards that I am looking for. On that, I am trying to find a picture of the Order of Regina Marie that Boyle would have been awarded. I assume it would be an officer grade but what level I will have to re-read the chapters in the books I have and maybe it will have a clue there.

When Boyle died, Marie looked after his burial and placed a Romanian headstone and urn on top of his grave. The flat slab concrete is inscribed with his name etc and the Order of Regina Marie along with her personal royal monogram. Once a year she would attend to his grave, clean it up and place a bunch of orange lilies in the urn. Orange lilies the colour of the ribbon of the order ? Yes I do believe she truly loved him.

Yes the officer is Joe W. Boyle. I have two bios on him and in each it describes the awards. Not enough credit was given to him because he spoke his mind and rubbed some of the higher officials the wrong way. I think they should do a movie about him. I am becoming more familiar with the grades of the awards that I am looking for. On that, I am trying to find a picture of the Order of Regina Marie that Boyle would have been awarded. I assume it would be an officer grade but what level I will have to re-read the chapters in the books I have and maybe it will have a clue there.

When Boyle died, Marie looked after his burial and placed a Romanian headstone and urn on top of his grave. The flat slab concrete is inscribed with his name etc and the Order of Regina Marie along with her personal royal monogram. Once a year she would attend to his grave, clean it up and place a bunch of orange lilies in the urn. Orange lilies the colour of the ribbon of the order ? Yes I do believe she truly loved him.

If you look at the links page of my Romanian section, you will find acknowledgement to the dealers who have very kindly allowed me to use pictures from their catalogues - this might be a good starting point for your quest.

Great and thanks. I will check it out.

The name of the order in Romanian is Ordinul Crucea Regina Maria (The Order of the Queen Marie Cross). It was organised in three classes named simply 1st, 2nd and 3rd. An image of the first class of the order awarded during WWI and after (but before WWII) can be found on Megan's site. Second and third classes were not enamelled and were worn on the chest. Orange was indeed the colour of the ribbon of the order.

Let me know if you have other questions regarding the grades/classes and divisions of the Romanian orders. It might not be easy in the beginning to understand the differences between them.