News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

How to date French Sleeve insignias and Shoulder boards

Lion101

The only two I can help you with are the 2 fourragères (lanyards)

They are unit awards.

The red one is the "Fourragère de la Légion d'Honneur": worn by members of a unit that was awarded the Croix de Guerre (War Cross) 6, 7 or 8 times. You'll often see them with "olives" in the colours of the 1914-18 or 1939-45 CdG ribbon if the total number of awards were split between the 2 conflicts. It can also come with an olive in the colour of the ribbon of de CdG TOE if the unit received it 6, 7 or 8 times.

The grey and pink one the Fourragère de la Croix de Guerre des Théâtres d'Opérations Extérieures (CdG TOE): worn by members of a unit awarded 2 or 3 CdG TOE.

You can find all the info on these at the web site FRANCE PHALÉRISTIQUE, but it's entirely in French.

Below are pics to show you what I mean by "olives". The fourragère in the colours of the Médaille Militaire (yellow and green) is for 4 or 5 awards of the CdG, you can see the 2 olives in the different colours of the WW1 and WW2 CdG ribbons denoting the total number of awards was cumulative from both wars.

The red fourragère below is for 6, 7 or 8 awards of the CdG TOE as denoted by the olive in the colours of its ribbon.

The only two I can help you with are the 2 fourragères (lanyards)

They are unit awards.

The red one is the "Fourragère de la Légion d'Honneur": worn by members of a unit that was awarded the Croix de Guerre (War Cross) 6, 7 or 8 times. You'll often see them with "olives" in the colours of the 1914-18 or 1939-45 CdG ribbon if the total number of awards were split between the 2 conflicts. It can also come with an olive in the colour of the ribbon of de CdG TOE if the unit received it 6, 7 or 8 times.

The grey and pink one the Fourragère de la Croix de Guerre des Théâtres d'Opérations Extérieures (CdG TOE): worn by members of a unit awarded 2 or 3 CdG TOE.

You can find all the info on these at the web site FRANCE PHALÉRISTIQUE, but it's entirely in French.

Below are pics to show you what I mean by "olives". The fourragère in the colours of the Médaille Militaire (yellow and green) is for 4 or 5 awards of the CdG, you can see the 2 olives in the different colours of the WW1 and WW2 CdG ribbons denoting the total number of awards was cumulative from both wars.

The red fourragère below is for 6, 7 or 8 awards of the CdG TOE as denoted by the olive in the colours of its ribbon.

The green shoulderbaord with red ornements is Foreigh Legion. Only worn as part of the parade uniform for privates, PFCs and corporals, with the blue flannel belt and white képi.

Others I am not too sure about

Edited by Veteran