News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Polish Monte Cassino Commemorative Cross

Gentlemen,

I've heard that the story that Polish Monte Cassino Commemorative crosses were issued in blocks and that the numbers are not attributable to individual recipients. I've also heard (and read) - not least in this forum - of collectors finding out or "looking up" to whom these crosses were issued. Could anybody please share with me the source of these individual attributions. I've searched previous threads to see if this has been discussed previously but could find nothing that answered the question directly. Any hints, clues, suggestions or rumours are welcome!

Edited by greek2me

Gentlemen,

I've heard that the story that Polish Monte Cassino Commemorative crosses were issued in blocks and that the numbers are not attributable to individual recipients. I've also heard (and read) - not least in this forum - of collectors finding out or "looking up" to whom these crosses were issued. Could anybody please share with me the source of these individual attributions. I've searched previous threads to see if this has been discussed previously but could find nothing that answered the question directly. Any hints, clues, suggestions or rumours are welcome!

Ah yes, the mythical (or maybe not) Monte Cassino list. Some say partial lists exist, others that the list exists in the archives of the Sikorski Institute in London.

From time to time when these crosses are listed on eBay a user called "Andrzejku" pops up and provides details of the recipient. If contacted to supply details of his sources he never responds.

The mystery continues………

The list does exist at the Sikorski. In speaking with them last month I was told that there will be books of the entire list printed and available to the public by the end of the year. I was not made aware of the cost associated with this tome but I was told that the print run will be fairly limited.

Cheers,

Greg

The list does exist at the Sikorski. In speaking with them last month I was told that there will be books of the entire list printed and available to the public by the end of the year. I was not made aware of the cost associated with this tome but I was told that the print run will be fairly limited.

Cheers,

Greg

That's great news Greg, did they indicate if it was possible to reserve / pre-order copies?.

Beats me why they don't just publish the list in pdf on their website along with the other documents available there.

Edited by Kris D

Details were scarce but there was a firm release time frame. It was initially supposed be out by May of this year but that has been pushed back until somewhere near the end of 2010. If I get details regarding pre-ordering I will gladly share them.

Cheers,

Greg

Details were scarce but there was a firm release time frame. It was initially supposed be out by May of this year but that has been pushed back until somewhere near the end of 2010. If I get details regarding pre-ordering I will gladly share them.

Cheers,

Greg

Thanks very much everyone for your speedy responses. I have contacted the Sikorski Institute/Museum and can, indeed, confirm that they are set to release for publishing lists of recipients of the Monte Cassino Cross and the numbers that have been attributed to each individual. The young lady that I spoke with seemed to suggest that it would be ready to go to the publishers in about 2 months time, so when it's set for release is anybody's guess. Thanks again for helping me resolve this. Perhaps now, eBay vendors can deflate Andrzejku and put him back in his box!

• 2 months later...

Hello dear Gentleman,greetings!

I researched last Year a former polish Soldier over his Numbered:"35 822"- and got his whole Army Record : Franciszek Czarnecki,so got a List for ca.200 Recipients for MC Crosses of the 7.light AA Regiment 2.polishes Corps in Italy from the very helpfull polish Sikorski Institute London(takes about half Year-only one Archivar!

If anyone interestet I will gladly share my INFO for interessants?

Yes I was also in touch with "Andrzejku" very nice Chap!

I heard also about other researchers got Help for different Units(Carphatien lancers M.C.s) Lists found by Sikorski Inst.)

I was also in Touch with Professor Z.Wesolowski who told me he tried many Times to get the Lists for over 48.000 Awarded Mc. from the Sikorski Inst.-not to any Success-he wantet the Lists to printet and opened for Researchers in Book format or DVD.?

Encourageg my my Success I try to found Living Family members in Poland for this brave polish Soldier,born 1906 in Swiszewy/pov.Kolo Poland Civil he was a Farmer and like many unfortunate Comrades in 1939 arrestet (NKVD?) and imprisoned by Lwow/Poland then disapaered"for 2 Years in former sovietunion (maybe Sibiria?) then joinend 1941 General W.Anders new polish Army in Tockoje USSR then went to Italy Campaign like thousends of his Comerades-he was Repatriatet 1947 to Poland-last Adress "Augustynowo"poviat Wloclawek..

I really hope the polish Red Cross can help to found maybe living Family..

For any Help of you GentlemenI'am very thankfull!( I will gladly answer any Questions?

best Regards Juergen Fritz