News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Something I knew nothing of when I came across the photo a few days ago - & still don't know a lot about.

Doctor Thomas John Barnardo founded the Barnardo's charity in 1866, opening a school in the East End of London to care for & educate vulnerable children - there were many left orphaned following a recent outbreak of cholera.

A small boy, Jim Jarvis led Barbnardo to hundreds of boys "lving" on rooftops

In 1870 Barnardo founded an orphanage in Stepney, the "Dr Barnardo Homes" organisation grew & is still in existence as "Barnardo's".

The homes gave an opportunity to learn skills, including musical training, which was given a prominent place in the school curriculum.

Various marching bands were formed and encouraged to make appearances in the East London community in which they were based.

The more talented boys formed small ensembles known as 'Musical Boys', & they accompanied the Deputation Secretaries n their fund raising tours across the country, & eventually the policy was extended worldwide.

Dr Barnardo Sea Schools trained boys for a career in the Royal Navy or The Merchant Navy, & The Watts Naval Training School, The Russell Cotes Nautical School and The Parkstone Sea Training School had marching bands.

This photo is of a "Barnardo Band at The Horse Guards Parade, Assisting The War Office in Recruiting" during The Boer War or WWI?

A dismounted sentry of The 1st or 2nd Life GUards is seen in the foreground.

Edited by leigh kitchen