News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1888 patternSlade Wallace Belt and Bayonet Frog

Guys,what do you think of this 1888 pattern Slade Wallace white buff leather belt and bayonet frog?Period made,later (post WW1) made or copies,cheers for your help,

Paul

Thanks for the comments guys.Mervyn,It was just a general question really mate,I dont have a great deal of experience with these items so wouldn't know what to look for in copies.The bayonet frog looks a little newer then the belt and I was wondering if you can tell from the method of manufacture (rivets,stiching etc)the period when they were produced,thanks again,

Paul

Paul, I promised to show a couple of 1888 pattern frogs - herewith. You will see differences in the styles of rivets and in the stitching. The whiteish one was for a guard in Capetown in the Boer War - the other one is the standard suede finish. There was also a polished leather one for the 1903.

Paul

Nice belt, absolutely nothing wrong with that. I am not sure about the frog though, it has the look that the later ones have, though it's hard to be sure from this picture.

Mervyn - that's a particularly nice example on the right. The frogs can be dated from the pattern of rivets, but alas I no longer recall the details! More rivets is later though, I am pretty sure of that.

Regards,

W.