News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Ulster & London Irish Rifles

Hello,

My grandad (Cpl Edward Byrne) was in the Royal Ulster Rifles from 1933 to 1945. He served in Palestine in 1937 and was with the BEF in 1940 and was evacuated at Dunkirk. He was then attached to the London Irish Rifles for the Torch Landings, was wounded in North Africa but stayed with the Irish Brigade throughout the Italian Campaign.

I've a few photos and I'd like to post them and see if my assumptions ref them are correct.

Thanks in adavance for your help.

A portrait shot, not much to say other than taken just after Dunkirk I think:

Cont...

The next one is a bit more interesting. I think it must have been taken in North Africa after he was attached to the 2nd London Irish Rifles. Seems to be an Australian artillery unit, twenty pounders? The British troops wear the side cap and I believe that the LIR wore the Caubeen, could these men be attached RUR men who kept the side caps I believe? I don't think it's pre war Palestine:

Thanks for looking so far, I've got his pay book and roll call book with some interesting entries for North Africa which I will post if anyones interested.

Carl

Found one more.

Wearing a slouch hat. Not very good quality. Italy? Did British troops wear slouch hats in the European theatre? The only other option is Palestine 1937.