News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Croix de Guerre vs Decoration Militaire types

When I started collecting Belgian ODM's, I noticed some similarities between different medals and wondered if it was just common/approved designs with minor die variations between maker's, or if designs might be specific to certain time frames?

Some items are easy to distingush, like the Leopold Orders. We can immediately look at the center motto and figure if it was produced before or after 1951, or note the crown differences and determine what period they come from. Same can be said on items with specific mottos ranging from the Leopold I, II, and III periods and those that have the Albert "A". These designs changed over time to designate changes in the Monarchy and it's fairly straight-forward differentiating awards of each era. Of course, if they still make items with the old marks today, then that can be problematic for collectors and we do see some items that are apparently modern restrikes of awards long past and in most cases a significant difference in quality and workmanship.

When I picked up my first Military Decoration sometime ago, I immediately bounced it against Guy Deploige's site: http://users.telenet.be/deploige/OMD-DM/ What I found interesting, is that these decorations had been placed, by pattern types, and given an approximate timeline. I liked that, and have noted several dealers and collectors alike referencing his work from time to time.

So, when posting some Croix de Guerre on a different thread, I had asked the question: Can we determine a similar timeline for Croix de Guerre pieces based on the motto? It went unanswered.

Recently, I asked Guy if perhaps we should revisit that question. Hopefully, with the help of those members that have Croix de Guerre and Military Decorations in their collections, maybe we can figure something out.

So, I'll start out showing two different Croix de Guerre reverses and you can see the differences in design.

Tim

Taking into account that the medals are of different overall designs, I can understand where they may not be 100% identical.

Here's one of the Croix e Guerre above, next to one of Guy's Military Decorations; in this case, an Albert period double-A, type 5. Note the similarities.

Tim

And here is the other Croix de Guerre from above compared to Guy's Albert double-A, type 7. Honestly, the differences are hard to tell between the types 7, 8, and 9 when only looking at the "A", but it's still a start and weeds out the previous types.

Tim

Okay, now I am the first to admit that I am limited here, as I only have a handful of these items to compare in hand and this is where I need help from those that have more knowledge and "material".

So, what do you guys think, are there more comparisons?beer.gif

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...