News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Early Rising Sun

Dieter3

Several questions here. So, starting with the case - indicates a 7th class, but this medal is not enameled. What am I missing? Is this a custom case or an official issue? At any rate, this baby sold for 133,000 yen, just curious to know a little bit more about it as such!

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2010/post-6375-127829957402.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_07_2010/post-6375-12782995832.jpg

It's an early medal. 7th Class Rising Sun, dated Meiji 10 [1877], March. Since the medal was established in 1875, this is about as early as you can get. Note that the seller inadvertently switched medals. He stated this in the auction and re-switched the 7th & 8th medals back to their original boxes. The 8th Class medal & box he had went for a high price, too, but it wasn't as early. The almost square box was still quite early, though.

Edited by RichC

Never seen one like it, thanks for showing it Dieter!cheers.gif

Tim

Interesting case for sure! I wish I would have been paying more attention and grabbed pics of the actual medal that belonged in the case!! I can't recall, but I think that sale that Rich is referring to was in a lacquered case with a push button type mechanism???

Hi Paul,

Was there any point in time where the mint, or only "official" manufacturers took over production of these awards? This is really interesting!cheers.gif

Tim

I'm afraid I do not know the date when Hirata stopped making them. I believe it was only for a few years right at the start of the order's existence.

Interesting case for sure! I wish I would have been paying more attention and grabbed pics of the actual medal that belonged in the case!! I can't recall, but I think that sale that Rich is referring to was in a lacquered case with a push button type mechanism???

That's right. Those boxes are still rectangular, but they appear almost square. They have a different interior with a removable rest for the main medal. You can see examples on my site of those (http://www.imperialjapanmedalsandbadges.com/meijicases.html). The latch is different as well, as you noted. I've only held examples of the two lowest classes of the Rising Sun. I've never held one of the Hirata cases, though.