News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dutch Commemorative Silver Cross 1813 - 1815

As a newbie to this forum (and site), I wanted to say hello here and to share my two Silver Crosses (issue size and a miniature) bought recently.

I am trying to collect (as funds and time allow!) all the medals associated with the Peninsular Wars - having long had an interest in the subject area, it just seems a natural extension. I don't have any depth of knowledge with medal collecting and am very much 'learning as I go'....so any information/advice you might have would be gratefully received.

Whilst I am sure that you will know more than me, here is what I think I know about the medals:

• I believe it was instituted in 1865 for the surviving veterans of the 1813-1815 campaigns - understand that less than 5000 were issued;
    • It is in hallmarked silver - larger version hallmarked on the face of the medal with 'PZ' (makers mark) and the sword mark (Dutch purity mark for .833 silver) & miniature version hallmarked on the ribbon ring (see pictures)
    • Issued in two sizes - 35mm and the miniature in 17mm

So, here they are (I think both ribbons are original):

1813Side-SmallLarge.jpg1815SideHallmarkedRing-Miniature.jpg1813sidehallmarks.jpg1813-MiniatureHallmarks.jpg