News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dragoon Colours - 4,8,16

Need to consult the court of public opinion on this one. I just recently added a Dragoon officer visor to my collection. I've been working on an ID for the original owner based on the Freiherrkrone/Cypher on the liner but running into a problem based on the colour.

The piping and band are both very distinctly lemon yellow. Standard Prussian/Reich Officer cockades.

Now the reason why I'm going crosseyed banger.gif .

There are, on the surface three candidate regiments using yellow

1) Dragoner-Regt. von Bredow (1. Schlesisches) Nr.4

2) Dragoner-Regt. König Friedrich III (2.Schlesisches) Nr.8

3) 2. Hannoversches Dragoner-Regt. Nr.16

The visor is being sold to me as a 16th.

"Uniformenkunde Das Deutsche Heer" shows the 8th and 16th as lemon yellow. To contradict this I've seen firsthand an Überrock from the 8th and it is definitely dark(er) yellow.

Tony on Kaiser's Bunker lists only the 16th as having lemon yellow on the uniform portion of his website (along with the 21st which is not a candidate in this case), however on the visor section he lists the 4th and the 21st as having lemon yellow, the other two regiments having dark yellow.

In "Lancers and Dragoons" by RJ Marrion the 4th is listed as "pale yellow" facings and the other two regiments are listed simply as yellow. The undress cap chart in this book again illustrates the 4th having this "pale" or lemon yellow band and piping to the cap.

Dave Mosher in an older thread on picklehaubes.com lists the 4th and 21st as the lemon yellow coloured regiments.

Its obviously making a difference to me in identifying the owner - the 4th has a couple of candidates as does the 16th (none in the 8th so far).

Just curious as to what regiment is truly "lemon"banger.gifspeechless.gif

Cheers,

Luc

Edited by Luke