News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

TRANSLATION HELP, PLEASE.

Mervyn Mitton

Hi - Paul. I am wondering if any of your members would be able to help me with this script ? I have just bought one of the nicest bronzes I have seen for years - has many sumo wrestlers supporting it and a Samurai on the top. I will post it on the Lounge tomorrow, since I think members will be interested - would be nice if it turned out to be by a well known Master ... I hope I have the script the right way around ?

It says 'Made by Miyao.' Miyao Eisuke (宮尾栄助) was a famous artist who worked in bronze. Tokyo area, Meiji era. Not sure if it is the same artist since you didn't post other pics...

Rich - you have made my day ! Many,many thanks for that information. I have established that the piece is a TORO or, incense burner and it is one of the most elaborate of all of those on the internet. I will post a full set of pictures on the Lounge later today. Would they also be of interest on this Japanese sub-Forum - I don't mind repeating them ?

Once again thankyou for your help. Mervyn

Hi - your Forum is not one that I post to - although we have some very good Japanese art in South Africa, it does not always have a Militaria background. This unusual item could fit under several headings - including Naval, since it's award in a top Regatta is uncommon in itself.

My original Post is on the Lounge - with a longer description.

This is a KORO or, incense burner - also known as a Censer. Many Japanese households - of a certain standing - would have KORO. They were usually much smaller and could also be of ceramics. However, the sheer size of this one - 39 inches high (100 cm) and 17 1/2 inches wide (44 cm) shows it's importance. I suspect an important household or, even a Temple. The weight is great and even though it takes apart into six pieces the middle section needs two people to lift. The condition is amazing - bearing in mind that if it was a prize in 1905, then it was probably made in the 1890's.

Thanks to Rich we know that the artist was the Bronze Master EISUKE MIYAO - who worked in Yokohama. One has only to look him up on Google to see the similarity in his othe KOROS - which are fairly limited in number. All KORO seem to have a figure as the finial on the top of the lid - however, I could find nor reference to any others with a Samurai - and in such magnificent detail. The other important differencse are the four supporters for the main body - these appear to represent Sumo wrestlers but, are not wearing the costume we see on TV.

We have a lot of research to do still and if any members can offer advice it will be gratefully received.

'MOYANA' was of 52 feet in length (1560 cm) and the letters after the length are Lloyds Registry. She would have been one of those magnificent racing yacts from that period - and would have been owned by someone of importance.