News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ordre National du Mérite (Order of National Merit)

André G.

Hello ;)

The Order of National Merit was created in 1963 by the general De Gaulle to replace the differents merit national orders existing (Order Nationale du Mérite Militaire, Ordre National du Mérite Agricole ... etc. ).

The goal was give more value to the Légion d'Honneur in creating an intermediate order,

here is an Order of National Merit Knight's class (it is the medal of my father):

2ex7fgo.jpg29fqgl5.jpg

bye :lol:

Edited by André G.

Is it an older piece?

He was awarded in the 90s (I don't remember exactly of the year :unsure: . I didn't know there are variations for this award, the dark blue enamel is very nice :love:

A picture of an french officer (here, my father) with this decoration,

6iff3m.jpg

Sometimes, the Ordre du Mérite National is nicknamed by the army's officers Ordre du Mérite Agricole because this award is often give without regard on the quality of the service of the officer, just for long service (exactly as the Légion d'Honneur for the high ranked officer), it is a few different for the soldat and the NCO's because the attribution is not automatic. It is not considered as a prestigious medal. For an part of the soliders, only the Médaille Militaire and the Croix de Guerre are well considered.