News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Last Living Knight Commander of the Order of the Indian Empire Dies

For those interested in orders of chivalry, His Highness the Maharaja of Dhrangadhra-Halvad, KCIE, passed away August 1 at the age of 87. He was the last of the Indian princes who ruled their own states prior to India becoming independent in 1947. He was also the last living knight commander of The Most Eminent Order of the Indian Empire.

I found his obituary to be very interesting reading:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/royalty-obituaries/7978328/The-Maharaja-of-Dhrangadhra-Halvad.html

Edited by Mike Dwyer

It will not let me view the site it wants me to log into WINDOWS OUTLOOK??

Lorenzo

I'm having same problem. Seems that the article is only for certain group of people registered at gulfcoast.edu.

Anyway here's an interesting reading as well:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/royalty-obituaries/7978328/The-Maharaja-of-Dhrangadhra-Halvad.html

I'm having same problem. Seems that the article is only for certain group of people registered at gulfcoast.edu.

Anyway here's an interesting reading as well:

I apologize, I've fixed the link. It was supposed to be the same one Kevin has supplied, but somehow when copying through my work email site it messed up the link.

I read an interesting thing about him posted by a friend on FaceBook. In 1995 he attended the Diamond Jublilee at Millfield Leah, the school he attended in England. He wanted to wear his KCIE insignia at Millfield, but it had been stolen a year earlier in Delhi, so his secretary wrote to the Central Chancery of the Orders of Knighthood at St. James's Palace asking if he could borrow one of their insignia and they agreed. So this schools Diamond Jubliee is probably the last time in the world that a knight commander of the Order of the Indian Empire wore their insignia.

Mike - a very interesting story - an Honorary award but, as you say - the last time one will be seen being worn. I think the expression which sums it up is - 'The Old Order Passeth !" As we all get older we are continually seeing the 'last' of things - I wonder what our present younger generations will remember in 50 years time ?

Mike - a very interesting story - an Honorary award but, as you say - the last time one will be seen being worn. I think the expression which sums it up is - 'The Old Order Passeth !" As we all get older we are continually seeing the 'last' of things - I wonder what our present younger generations will remember in 50 years time ?

Mervyn,

I sometimes wonder about our younger generations myself. Although I work for a college, I also teach a college credit criminal justice class at a local high school. I've been doing this for 7 years. Besides general militaria, I'm also very much into heraldry, chivalry, and orders of knighthood. One time in class I was trying to explain the early history of law enforcement in England. Our textbook talks about the feudal system, the tithing or frankpledge system, and the shire reeve, or sheriff. During this discussion I mentioned something about Queen Elizabeth and someone famous getting knighted (it might have been Mick Jagger) and one of my students exclaimed, "They still have knights???" These kids, who are mostly honor students in my class, have no clue!

• 4 weeks later...

Certainly not honorary. The statutes of both Indian orders reserved a certain number of knighthoods in each to the Indian princes.

Also, in relation to a previous poster, although this particular prince was the last knight, he is certianly not the last prince to have ruled his own state. Furthermore, 1947 is an assumed but almost always an incorrect date. Incorporation in either India or Pakistan and the loss of sovereighnty varied according to princely state, and ranged anywhere from 1948 to as late as 1956.

Well then - it is an Honorary Award. Not being given for Service but, as an allocation ?

Not so. According to the official terminology of the statutes of orders concerned, as opposed to one invented-on-the-hoof, an honorary award is one that is supernumery to establishment. The Indian princes were part of the establishment.