News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

OBE citations?

My grandfather got an OBE soon after WWII. Handed down family history is that we was (the?) senior fire officer on site during the bombing of Coventry in 1940. I know he was there and would like to know more about his role and if there is more to the official story. Anyone know if awards like OBE's come with any official citation or explanation or do they just appear on the awards list as a result of a back room process that is not made public.

I found a Gazette for him - for the fire service medal.

Alick Haydon FINNEY, Fire Force Commander,

No. 23 (Stoke) Fire Force.

http://www.london-ga...s/2820/page.pdf

Nothing else though - anyone in officialdom I could write to?

I also have his miniature medal bar of 4 medals. Not sure what they are but no OBE.

Thanks

Colin

Edited by ColinRF

A H Finney received the OBE in the London Gazette of 1 January 1955 for service as Chief Officer, Staffordshire Fire Brigade (no citation published). From 1936 to 22 July 1941 he was Inspector and Principal Fire Officer, Wolverhampton and on 23 July 1941 he was appointed Fire Force Commander, Stoke Area. Regards, Gunner 1

That's way more than I knew so thank you very much for your rapid response! Are citations always created for this award even if not published? I would just like to know so I can decide whether to expend energy trying to hunt it down.

Colin

Colin: I do not know if citations are issued but there were certainly recommendations written when the person was recommended for the award. The National Archives have made available the existing recommendations for World War II awards but not the later ones. You might check with the Chancery of the Order to see if they can supply any information or with the headquarters of Staffordshire Fire Brigade. Gunner 1