News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Emperors Taisho and Showa

Dieter3

Not to far from Tama Cemetary was the Imperial Mausoleum located at Takao, a more "hilly" part of Tokyo outskirts. Here are the final resting places of Emperor Taisho and Emperor Showa, as well as the Empresses. This was really awesome - the place is gorgeous - extremely peaceful, very clean - there was an army of people combing the stone paths for any form of debris - not a single piece of trash, vending machine, or even a cigarette butt to be found anywhere - which is somewhat of an accomplishment for Tokyo. The people really respect this place and the grounds keepers do an outstanding job. An armed police officer is stationed at either grave site, and there is a small troop of them at the entrance to the grounds. The shot is looking down the paths to both sites; the Tama site for Emperor Taisho and the the Musashino site for Emperor Showa. Simply gorgeous:

post-6375-015235000 1288477723_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dieter3

This is the burial site of Emperor Taisho. The mound is somewhat higher in elevation than that of Emperor Showa so somewhat harder to see. The steps are unfortunately off-limits except to Imperial family, so I couldn't get any really close-up photos. Still, these sites are very impressive:

post-6375-034801800 1288477899_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dieter3

If you wander in some of the hills near Kyoto you can find the burial sites for a whole host of Emperors from the 10th to 13th centuries. The sites are much smaller but also in impeccable condition. It makes for some interesting hill walking. I did it with a friend who lived in the area about 12 or so years ago.

And Emperor Meiji is in Kyoto as well, sure wish I cold have gotten there for that visit. Sounds like some good hiking for sure though and the other sites would be fascinating to see as well! I did get a chance to visit the small museum at Meiji Jingu that houses several of Emperor Meiji's things, the highlight being the carriage that was used for events including the Constitutional celebration. VERY COOL. Alas, no photos allowed. But they also had a portrait display of every emperor from the first one (Jimmu?) through Hirohito - lots of them!! That was a lot of work by the artist that did them all.