News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Old-fashioned civilian with ribbon bar

I'm helping a friend to identify decorations on this old guy's ribbon bar. I couldn't get better pics, sorry. The picture was taken by a photographer who had businesses in Hamburg and Berlin, if this helps something.

Due to clothing style I said at first this shoudl be end of 19th / beginning of 20th century, but these small ribbon bars were not worn then yet. So it should be shortly after WW1. As the guy is quite old, he was probably non-combatant, but that's just a guess. :unsure:

My opinion is, there are 4 ribbons, amybe 5 on the bar. The most distinctive is 3rd with broad dark stripe, I assume it's Sachsen-Meiningen.

My guesses are:

#1: Sachesen - FAM or Preussen Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen or Hessen Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen or (less likely) Albrechtsorden

#2: Braunschweig non-combatant cross 1914, or some of the above

#3: Sachsen-Meiningen KVK - non combatant (or combatant maybe)

#4: Sachsen - cross for Freiwilliger Volkspflege or FAM (peace time ribbon) or Colonial medal or Ehrenlegion medal or WW1 Austria commemorative medal ...

#5: is this a ribbon at all or just a shadow?!

I'll really appreciate your opinions.

Valter

post-5728-011851000 1289465046_thumb.jpg

post-5728-018358800 1289465059_thumb.jpg

I'm sorry to diagree, but I see here a painted porcelain button hole decoration, probably for Prussian awards from 1864/1866/1870... hard to make them out, but last seems to be the Prussian 1864 medal.

Sascha, I think you're right... I didn't think about porcelan buttonhole device, but this seems logical, and also the size is more accurate... this also explains strange shadows and old-fashioned clothes :speechless:

So, the oportunities are:

#1: EK2-noncombatant or RAO

#2: Hohenzollern order, or Kronenorden (assume the porcelain makes strange reflections) or long service cross

#3: EK2 ribbon (but EK2 wouldn't be on 3rd place, so maybe RAO on combat ribbon, or Kriegsverdienst medal?); or (a bit modified) Alsen or Koeniggratz (the later would be the wrong place) cross

#4 1870 medal (strips are too narrow - maybe a painter's "freedom"?)

#5: 1864 medal

What do you think about that?

Sascha, I think you're right... I didn't think about porcelan buttonhole device, but this seems logical, and also the size is more accurate... this also explains strange shadows and old-fashioned clothes :speechless:

So, the oportunities are:

#1: EK2-noncombatant or RAO

#2: Hohenzollern order, or Kronenorden (assume the porcelain makes strange reflections) or long service cross

#3: EK2 ribbon (but EK2 wouldn't be on 3rd place, so maybe RAO on combat ribbon, or Kriegsverdienst medal?); or (a bit modified) Alsen or Koeniggratz (the later would be the wrong place) cross

#4 1870 medal (strips are too narrow - maybe a painter's "freedom"?)

#5: 1864 medal

What do you think about that?

No opinions about my second opinion? :o

I know it's nothing special, but I'm clueless and very curious. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for any help.

Valter