News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help with WW1 Pretoria citizens service medal

Strapper

I have two Great war medals to a Pte GR Nisbet an it came with a pretoria citizens service medal and a small badge saying "981 Returned Soldier"

Is there a medal role for these unofficial medals and would it be possible to find out if Private Nesbit was given this medal and if his returned soldier

number corresponds. Anyone who can help? Regards Strapper

Hi - David. I think your medal should have a tan coloured ribbon with a top suspender bar. They were given out by the Town Council to all returning soldiers. There must be a roll of some sort in the archives - but, how to access it these days ? I don't know of any Country outside of South Africa that was more generous with commemorative gifts to mark special occasions.

Edited by Mervyn Mitton

Is there a medal role for these unofficial medals and would it be possible to find out if Private Nesbit was given this medal and if his returned soldier number corresponds. Anyone who can help? Regards Strapper

Strapper,

Henk Loots published an article on this medal in Military Medal Society of SA Journal No 21 (March 1983), based on material found in the State Library [now National Library] in Pretoria. He doesn't give a medal roll, but perhaps some enquiries at the Library, or the Tshwane Metro (as successor to the old Pretoria City Council) might bear fruit. Apparently the medals were presented by the mayor at a ceremony on 4 August 1919, so newspaper reports of the time may be useful too.

Hi Mervyn, The medal actually has a tan and red ribbon, left side red and tan on the right. The medals were

issued un-named that I have assertained, but what made me think was the Numbered lapel badge. It would make

an interesting research topic. Jo'burg has a medal issued as well, but it seems not to have the "status" of the Pretoria

one. It would be really cool to find one that is attributable. Thanks for info. Regards David

Thanks Arthur, I found the Hendrik Loots doccie and it is interesting, but only seems to do half a job

by not listing recipients. i will seach for newspaper records thats a great idea. I would also

like to sort out the ribbon colour issue that Mervyn has raised. Regards David

Edited by Strapper

David - photos of my medal - I think they must be the same. Not sure though, which is the correct ribbon. This tan one looks to have been properly fitted. I was told some time ago, that these were intended for City Workers who had commited to extra work during the War. I think that there would be more around if they had been given to all ex-Servicemen ? Mervyn

post-6209-098824200 1292598080_thumb.jpg