News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1877 Romanian War of Independance Turkish Bayonet.

Kev in Deva

Hi - Kev. This is interesting - looks as if it were to fit a muzzle loader with the slip-on attachment.** Any idea what they were using at that time ? Certainly in excavated condition and at some time it looks as if they have been cutting wood - the usual culprit for such blade damage.

You say Turkish bayonet - perhaps for a Mauser ?

** But then so did our Martini Henry of the same period.

Hallo Mervyn, :cheers:

no idea as to what they Turkish were using however maybe

I will get some idea at the Romanian Military Museum in

Bucharest on Friday 18th March if the building housing the

section on Firearms and edged weapons is open,

it was shut last year when I visited, and no explanation

given as to why.

The muzzle housing is 2cm in diameter on the inside

by 10,5 cm long.

The blade being 3,5 cm wide.

It must have been fairly intimidating when facing them

advancing towards you. :speechless1: :speechless1:

Found this from a quick online search:-

Turkish infantry used the Peabody-Martini single-shot,

breech-loading rifle; although some battalions of the

Redif still used the older British Snyder,

another single-shot, breech-loader.

And:-

The standard Turkish infantry rifle was the American-designed Peabody-Martini falling-block rifle in .45 caliber. This was not only a fast shooting rifle (tests produced 17 aimed shots per minute) but was also very accurate out to 700 yards, and loaded with most small bore, large capac­ity black powder cartridges, it would carry several thousand yards with a high looping trajectory. (For more information about these weapons, see "The Turkish Connection: The Saga of the Peabody-Martini Rifle" by William O. Achtermeier, Man at Arms, Volume 1, Number 2, pp. 12-21, 55­57.) The Russian infantry was equipped with the obsolete .60 cal. Krenk (Bohemian spelling, Krnka). Their rifle brigades used the more modern American designed .42 cal. Berdan rifle.

Type B: (i) No safety, (ii) split steel breech block pivot pin, no retaining screws, (iii) cammed rod like the British Mark II, and (iv) bayonet stud integral with front band so the rifle could mount a saber bayonet.

http://www.militaryrifles.com/Turkey/Plevna/ThePlevnaDelay.html

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Kev - I'll have a look in the bayonet books as well. Hope you're going to take pictures for the Museum section - should be very interesting. Also, how about a few of the local Police uniforms and vehicles for foreign police sub-forum ? But don't get arrested as a 'spy'...

Hallo Mervyn,

I have been attending the St. Pats event in Bucharest for the last four years now on the 17th

and the next day I usually spend in the Romanian Military Museum, there is no restriction with

regards pictures, one simply pays their entrance admission and a small Photographic fee and

you get a badge to wear, once you have the badge you are free to click away for as long as the

camera batteries last. :P I usually enter at 09:30 and leave about 16:30 hrs.

Hopefully I can get some snap shots of Police cars etc..etc..

I must look for a link to the Romanian Police Force website as well,

I believe they have their own museum in Bucharest, however I do not think

I will get a chance to visit on this occasion as I will only be there

for 3 days starting off leaving home by train at 06:49 on Thursday 17th March

and arriving in Bucharest at 16:00 that afternoon, the Irish Embassy "do" kicks

of at the Hilton about 18:45, the next day (18th)will be the

Romanian Military Museum, and Saturday morning off to Belleu Cemetery and possibly

the Military Aviation Museum and then I will be jumping on the midnight train back to Deva,

arriving about 09:00 on Sunday morning.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva