News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Rising Sun 4th Class Comparison

Tim B

Yes, many thanks to Nick Komiya. He has always been generous and helpful and knows a lot about Japanese military things (as well as other subjects, I imagine). I would like to add a thing or two, though. You mentioned that these were the official illustrations. Although the latter pictures are, the first one isn't. It appears to be from a book. And let me add another important date to the rosettes. As you can see, originally the 7th/8th classes had a bow. A round lapel rosette replaced the bow in 1921. (Ordinance #146, April 25, 1921.) It was the same three-pronged design for both. (The 7th class got its own rosette in 1936, as you mentioned.) I want to show you the original illustration, but I am having trouble posting pics here.

On the same day, the 6th/7th Class Golden Kite bow rosette was replaced with a three-pronged round lapel rosette, too. (Ordinance #149, April 25, 1921.) Again, the 1936 revision gave the 6th Class its own rosette.

Cheers,

Rich

Hi Rich,

Is this a certainty on the 6th Class Golden Kite as to the date it received its own rosette? Did it not use the same rosette as the 5th class? I only ask simply because I've observed what I believe to be Taisho-era pieces with the 6-ray rosettes, the ones that appear to have thinner wall construction than the definitely Showa-era pieces. Same design as the earlier Rising Suns.

Hi Rich,

Is this a certainty on the 6th Class Golden Kite as to the date it received its own rosette? Did it not use the same rosette as the 5th class? I only ask simply because I've observed what I believe to be Taisho-era pieces with the 6-ray rosettes, the ones that appear to have thinner wall construction than the definitely Showa-era pieces. Same design as the earlier Rising Suns.

I have to check on the GK status before 1921, but I think the 6th shared a rosette with the 7th. It is certain that in 1921 (in the ordinance I specified) the 6th/7th Classes were given a three-pronged rosette to share. I have a copy of the ordinance in front of me, so if you'd like to see it, just email me and I'll send you a file. It's only 3 pages long.

Anyone else can get a copy, too. Just send me a line. My email is admin@imperialjapansakecups.com

Cheers, Rich

Thanks Rich! I'll take you up on that offer. I certainly don't doubt what is written, I'm simply confused by what I have seen for sale! Of course it is possible that sellers have stuck these rosettes with the medals to sex them up, or perhaps even the original owners obtained replacements that took the more modern form???