News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Perfect marriage? RSO3 plus case

Josef Rietveld

Dear Club-members, as most collectors i seek to round up ODMS i own with the matching case.

Four years ago i acquired a lot including an empty lacquer case for a Rising Sun Order 3rd class. Last autumm after some years of more or less intensive search i managed to purchase a convenient risung sun neck order at baldwins.

But i don't know exactely if this i a perfect marriage or a messalliance. So my question to the experienced japan-collectors: do they match together?

Both Showa?

josef

Edited by Josef Rietveld

Hi guys,

I think the medal has a good chance being Meiji, as the outer lines in the paulina leaves are extending down almost to the bottom and even with the adjacent lines. Certainly lower than what we see on the known Showa era examples.

Looks nice IMO Josef! :cheers:

Tim

Thanks for the input. I have got a lot to learn. Will it help to provide better pics of the paulina-leaves?

@Tim, thx for your comment, so it won't be an instant divorce. As far as i understand Tim, measuring the lines in the paulina-leave is by now a approach but gives no 100-percent-reliability. can this method differentiate between meiji, taisho and showa or only between meiji and showa?

Another question on RSO-Commanders. Did someone found out if there is a kind of chronology in the way the neck-ribbons are fixed together. I saw at least two different clasp-systems.

When I was talking to Mike Quigley, he mentioned that the Meiji-era RS pieces are much thinner than the later pieces. So if you take a side-view picture, maybe I can help.

This was a good hint :cheers:

I could only compare a showa RSO4 to the ROS3 - sorry my caliper lacks battery.

The showa-piece, as hopfully visible on the pic, is definitely thicker then the neck-decoration.

regards

josef