News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

General AH Nasution

• 2 months later...

It could be something along those lines.

I vaguely remember the caption as being something about Nasution returning (to the scene) during some crisis or other.

He's wearing his Jendral Besar ranks at the time so it should be after he retired.

Alf

quote name='Hugh' timestamp='1308421921' post='457056']

Post # 9 looks a little as though he's being taken into custody! Thanks for these, both of you.

H

Thanks Alf!

Another good picture that you can't find easily on the internet.. :)

Note: next to him on your photo is Lt.Gen. Prabowo Subianto, people said that former president Soeharto prepared Prabowo (who was his son-in-law) to be the next president, but the 1997-1998 crisis changed everything..

Soeharto resigned and BJ Habibie became president..

Yes, there was 'something' between Soeharto and Nasution 1967-1997..

The promotion of Nasution to be 5 star general/Jenderal Besar was the reconciliation of their relationship..

I'll post about this later.. :)

Until now there are only 3 Jenderal Besar (5star general) on Indonesia, and they all have passed away..

They are:

1. Jenderal Besar Soedirman, who fought in guerilla warfare against Dutch 2nd aggression on Yogyakarta, Central Java, and East Java; and then became Commander of Indonesian National Armed Forces (TNI)

He passed away in very young age in 1950 on my hometown, Magelang..

2. Jenderal Besar Abdul Haris Nasution

3. Jenderal Besar Soeharto

Windu

Here's the caption for the Nasution photo - Retired five-star General Abdul Haris Nasution, 79, attended the event where President Suharto's son-in-law, Lt-Gen Prabowo Subianto, assumed command of Kostrad.

It's easier to find pictures of Soeharto in his five-star uniform as there are pictures of him fully dressed in his uniform used during the funeral.

Alf

Yes, it's much easier to get Soeharto's picture in his 5 star uniform..

Lt.Gen Prabowo is a controversial officer,as you knew that Prabowo was the president Soeharto son-in-law, and he was one of the fastest promoted army officer along with Soesilo Bambang Yudhoyono/SBY..

People said that Prabowo and SBY was rival to be the Army Chief of Staff, but in fact none of them became it,

Now SBY become Indonesian president and Prabowo is a rich businessman..

Have everyone here heard about the failed coup d' etat 1965 tragedy that killed some Indonesian army high officers (generals) and also killed Nasution's little daughter?

No, tell us more about the 1965 coup.

I was going to remark that Prabowo in the last photo looks terribly young for a Lieutenant General. He's put on a fair bit of weight now, though.

Lt.Gen Prabowo is a controversial officer,as you knew that Prabowo was the president Soeharto son-in-law, and he was one of the fastest promoted army officer along with Soesilo Bambang Yudhoyono/SBY..

People said that Prabowo and SBY was rival to be the Army Chief of Staff, but in fact none of them became it,

Have everyone here heard about the failed coup d' etat 1965 tragedy that killed some Indonesian army high officers (generals) and also killed Nasution's little daughter?

To my recollection, 1965 was really the crucial year for Indonesia's future. The transition from Bung Sukarno to the generals shaped the country for years to come.

H

I spent a lot of time today reading about the history from Soekarno to Soeharto, and the coup which Nasution narrowly escaped with a broken ankle! Absolutely fascinating.

Alf

• 4 weeks later...

I spent a lot of time today reading about the history from Soekarno to Soeharto, and the coup which Nasution narrowly escaped with a broken ankle! Absolutely fascinating.

Alf

yes, you right, he was lucky that he can escape trough his neighbour's yard,

but poor him, his daughter shooted by the cakrabirawa forces..