News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Anyone collect Afghan or Iraqi Militaria?

I'm writing a piece on collecting from current wars, and wanted to see if anyone would like to talk to me about this topic. Send me a PM if you collect Iraqi, Afghan or other modern wars militaria.

What are some of the foot notes that you are looking for?

Thank you

Lorenzo

What are some of the foot notes that you are looking for?

Thank you

Lorenzo

1) What types of militaria are you finding? How common is "militaria" even right now?

2) Is it too soon? Is it right to collect militaria while there are still soldiers enaged in battle?

3) Can collectors appreciate the militaria if the battles are still being waged?

4) Do the fakers - as well as just the guys who are looking to make money - know that collectors want this stuff and are making up items just for sale?

5) Does it put the soldiers in harms way? Should soldiers even be thinking of the value of items, given that they might risk their lives to get something to sell for profit?

1) What types of militaria are you finding? How common is "militaria" even right now?

I collect Iraqi Militaria; Iraq has so much militaria that every day you can find a new piece that has never been seen before outside of Iraq. This is what makes collecting Iraqi Military Relics so much fun.

How common is it you ask; well right now there is a Bazaar on every FOB in Baghdad, or a IA compound nearby that can supply you with Insignia Badges and all kinds of Saddam Hussein era relics that some of the old Regime soldiers still have lying around the house.

Military Sites and Auctions sites are big suppliers for our Militaria needs also if you have good contacts to dealers in Iraq that is even better. This is how my flow of pieces is being added to my collection daily.

I love finding items and hearing other soldiers stories on how they find them, like many of the Saddam Hussein Place Pieces I bought from them. If you live near or on a Military installation in the U.S. put buy notes up in the PX for other soldiers will see your ads. I have found some very nice deals like this. Most soldiers who offer just want beer money so they will take what you are willing to give them.

This is what I can share from my experiences of this new era of serious collecting of Iraqi Military Relics.

Thank you

Lorenzo

1) Is it too soon? Is it right to collect militaria while there are still soldiers engaged in battle?

It is never too soon to collect Iraqi military now is the time to start before all the rare items are in private collections all over the world never to be parted. Look at all the WWII German Relics the best prices when I was collecting WWII German Relics was in the early 1990’s now the prices are so Crazy and you don’t even know if it is an original or a reproduction. Not all soldiers serving in Iraq like military relics so it is the collectors who are buying the items, I have been engaged many times in Iraq I am not going to let that stop me collecting on my free time. I get to see both sides of the story on this question.

Thank you

Lorenzo

3) Can collectors appreciate the militaria if the battles are still being waged?

This question for me was answered for you on my point of view from the last question I answered. That not all soldiers collect but the ones who do it as a hobby, we always put our jobs first as soldiers but on my off time I am looking for pieces for my collection.

Thank you

Lorenzo

Thanks for sharing your stories, Lorenzo.

What gets me passionate about collecting ODM is not just how pretty they are, but the tangible link they provide to the past. You really do feel that you're holding a piece of history in your hands.

So the fact that you are actually there in Iraq, and finding items from Sadam's Palaces at the same time when the history is being made, I find absolutely fascinating!

Putting a message on the board in the mess, and trading things for beer money - that brought a smile to my face. :lol:

Keep safe,

Gavin

Edited by drclaw

4) Do the fakers - as well as just the guys who are looking to make money - know that collectors want this stuff and are making up items just for sale?

This here happens for all militaria in the world, right now I can take an old Iraq M80 helmet paint a Red Triangle on it put some Arabic numbers and post it on EBAY I have seen helmets if originals sell for 350-500.00 in the last few years. who is to know if it is original markings or not? I am just giving you some of the ideas these money makers are doing, all it does is destroys the interests, history and takes the fun out of collecting.

Thank you

Lorenzo

5) Does it put the soldiers in harm’s way? Should soldiers even be thinking of the value of items, given that they might risk their lives to get something to sell for profit?

I would never jeopardize my soldier’s lives or myself just to find pieces for my collection. We as soldiers have to follow the General Order #1 on collecting violations of this order can jeopardize your career as a soldier. Most of the good times of collecting were during the initial invasion where all the Saddam Hussein Places pieces were just laying around for takers. Now when you visit the Palaces everything that had S.H. ص ح that is not part of the info structure was taken.

There were rumors going around that the Iraqi Government was calling all the military artifacts back to Iraq. I tell you this if that ever happens they better kill me because I will never give my collection up. This was sturred up when they found that AK-47 that belonged to Saddam Hussein I believe it was in Fort Jackson.

I also know of a few big dealers who were on EBAY and Craigslist who had some of their Saddam Hussein silver pieces taken from them by CID.

I want to thank you for starting this very interesting thread. I look forward to your finished work and I am always happy to help.

Thank you

Lorenzo

Thanks for sharing your stories, Lorenzo.

What gets me passionate about collecting ODM is not just how pretty they are, but the tangible link they provide to the past. You really do feel that you're holding a piece of history in your hands.

So the fact that you are actually there in Iraq, and finding items from Sadam's Palaces at the same time when the history is being made, I find absolutely fascinating!

Putting a message on the board in the mess, and trading things for beer money - that brought a smile to my face. :lol:

Keep safe,

Gavin

Gavin

Thank you for the reply and the interests of my posts, true one good thing about soldiers who don’t drink is that we have more money to buy their Militaria so they can drink. I bought a soldier 2 Red Bull can drinks for 4 Iraqi Berets and an IP Arm Band which cost me under $4.00 you should see the deals I get.

Lorenzo