News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Many 2nd. WW groups that come-in have only the un-named medals - always a cause of some suspicion as records are still sealed and some dealers like to make-up their own interesting groups. LS&GC or, Efficiency are always excellent for verification - and just sometimes, there will be photos and even newspaper articles. This is such a group and the link to the ill-fated Battle Cruiser - H.M.S. Hood - over 38,000 tons and the pride of the British Navy - makes it a rare one.

H.M.S. was sent with the battleship Repulse to help in the hunting down of the German battleship - Bismarck. One of her first salvoes hit the stern deck of Hood - which was lightly armoured - and penetrated to some magazines. The resultant explosion led to her sinking very quickly and over 1400 men died. From her complement only three survivors were ever found - one midshipman and two o/r's. To say that her sinking struck a terrible morale blow to the British - Services and civilians - is putting it mildly. The subsequent sinking of Bismarck helped to restore some pride - but, as a small boy of 4 years of age - I can still remember the shocked conversations.

P.O. (at end of service Chief Petty Officer) Tom Smith served for two years on HMS HOOD and had a fortunate transfer a few months before her sinking.He went onto serve on many other ships and in most War areas - I understand that at one time he was on HMS Indefatigable - one of the wooden decked aircraft carriers. However, I don't at this stage have his full listing of ships. He died a few years ago at age 84.

H.M.S. HOOD

The Group shows his extensive service throughout WW2. From Left :39/45 Star ; Atlantic Star ; Africa Star ; Burma Star - with Pacific Bar ;

War Medal ; LS&GC - named : SSX.25350 T.SMITH P.O.B. 23635 P.O. R.F.R.

I was speaking to Paddywhack who has an earlier RFR to a P.O. and he also has difficulty making sense of the naming and numbering. From what I have been told the RFR were different to most units. I am sure we will both be grateful if anyone can enlighten on this ?

Tom was for many years a valued member of the H.M.S. Hood Association. This was a card he received one year. The signature at the top is signed by Ted Briggs - the last living survivor of the three who were saved.