News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Large Irish parish constables bog oak truncheon

A new addition to my truncheon collection. The largest Irish bog oak truncheon I have ever seen.It is 19" long and carved with Shamrocks,Harps, Hounds and a Tower.It is also carved on the flat top but I can't make out what it represents and I have never seen one carved there before. Ian

Very nice example Ian - and certainly has some size. Maybe made larger to carry in a Mayoral procession - or even - dare I say it, an Orange Order March......

I have always held the view that these Bog Oak (petrified wood that has been under water - almost like a peat - and is very hard) truncheons and tipstaffs were a British attempt to introduce a form of Parish Constable into Ireland. There is no great shortage of them - however, I have yet to see a picture of a uniformed official carrying one ?

Could you show a picture of the top ?