News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

P.C. George Minns of the Metropolitan Police

Guest pikemedals

Hi on the last DNW auction I picked up a trio to P.C. George Minns consisting of a WW1 pair and a 1911 Coronation to the Met. On the pair is F10458 G.R. Minns.AM1. RNAS. His warrant No. is 99239. What I am looking for is has anyone got the printout for the surname Minns from the Police Orders website? In the book by Kemp there is no mention of him having any WW1 service in the forces, but does say that he was a WW2 Reserve Officer. I found George Richard Minns on the 1935 Jubilee Medal Roll for the Met Police and I am sure that this is not a made up group. If anyone has the Minns surname from police orders can they check this officer out for me please for WW1 wartime service and if he was a WW2 reserve officer? Many thanks Paul

Guest pikemedals

hi mervyn, you are right am1 is airman 1st class. the group is missing a 1935 jubilee medal which is easy to replace.not sure if pc g minns got a defence medal.i know that he must of serve 3 year to get a defence medal as a ww2 reserve officer.so i need to find the dates in the police orders.got to make i visit to the n/a in kew this week paul

I don't have the full Police Orders entry for Minns - all I have is shown below:

02/04/1942 99239 Minns PC 198W to N

07/05/1943 99239 Minns PC 198N Resigned

If he re-joined at the start of WWII then he would have clocked up the three years necessary for the Defence Medal.

When he joined the Attestation Register shows his name as George Richard Minns (see below)

I didn't pick up his WWI service as his date of leaving for the army didn't show up when I checked through the Police Orders.

Edited by Odin Mk 3

Guest pikemedals

many thanks for you help odin mk3. it would be nice if pc g minns got the defence medal .i got a few 1911 coronation medals who officers rejoined as ww2 reserve oficers.we just have to wait for the release for the defence medal roll to the metropolitan police.paul