News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sudanese or, Eritrean dagger

Mervyn Mitton

We often see these small Arab style daggers in South Africa - the troops in WW2 bought them whilst in Ethiopia,Sudan and in Eritrea. The skin is always camel and usually the handle is bone or, wood. This one is quite attractive since it has brass and turned local stones. They would carry it either tied around the arm - with the handle downwards - or, as a belt dagger.

Arm daggers usually have a longer handle (as shown in the post last Aug) and a different point.

Just a quick post to keep the momentum going............

The blades on most Arab daggers are up-turned at the end - this is for a sharp upward thrust that goes under the ribcage and can penetrate to the heart. The metal for the blade is nearly always from old car and jeep springs - which blunts very easily and goes rusty - as here !

• 2 months later...

Mervyn

I collect many different ethnographic weapons spears, swords, daggers and clubs from Africa, Asia, India and Indonesia. I got the bug back in the 1990s after attending a show and traded some custom knives for a barong and a Moro Kris sword. As you can tell from my tag here I have a large part of my collection dedicated to Zulu weapons.