News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Highland undress bonnets.

This is a cross post from Victorian Wars where it has had no takers. As there is more of a focus on headgear at GMIC, I wonder what the gentlemen may think.

I would like to understand the reason why, when other Highland regiments adopted the Glengarry bonnet as their regulation forage cap in 1853, the 42nd came to retain the Kilmarnock bonnet.

This has obvious parallels with the Black Watch wearing of the blue Balmoral bonnet post-WW2 while other Highland Regts wore the Glengarry, although that was, clearly, to allow wearing of the Red Hackle in No. 1 and No. 2 Dress (Not that the Q.O. Highlanders felt the need to sport their new blue hackle). That was not the case in the 1850s, when the 'red heckle' was only worn with the feather bonnet.

Similarly, I would be interested to learn more about the 42nd RHR and 79th Q.O.Cameron Hldrs wearing of the Glengarry bonnet without diced band, while all other Scottish regts (bar the Cameronians post-1881) wore theirs with dicing. As a piece of Highland military garb, the glengarry had hitherto always shown a diced band, pipers excluded, and it was, arguably, once an integral part of the manufacture of the military Highland bonnet.

It does not appear to have been anything to do with being Royal Regts. The 79th Cameron Hldrs wore a plain glengarry for twenty years before they were granted their 'Queen's Own' title in 1873. Moreover, the Royal Scots and Royal Scots Fusiliers both wore diced glengarries, although of course, they were Lowland regiments.....

In any case, the Black Watch and Camerons both wore diced bands with their full dress feather bonnets, so any symbolism would seem to apply only to the undress Glengarry.

"Just to be different" might the obvious theory but I am hoping for something more specific.

Any ideas?

jf - you are posing some difficult questions - I hope our headgear experts are 'scurrying' around looking for answers. I have a pre1900 history of British Regts. and will also have a look to see if they give any history.

However, why I am really dropping a line is that Brian and myself have been very appreciative of your knowledge and for your posts. We have also had several good comments from members. However, we don't seem to know a lot about you - if it is not too private, perhaps you would share a little about your interests and collection ? Mervyn

Thank you, Mervyn. I regard your interest as a great compliment. When I have a moment, I shall do my best to comply, although I should say straight away that apart from family relics and mementos, I have no collection. I just know my way around my areas of interest!