News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Yes , Odulf has the right Regt. They ceased to be 'Royal' after 1964 when Sth. Africa left the Commonwealth.

They still exist and for many years there has been a dispute as to whether they are S.A.'s oldest Regt.. However, a number of early units

claim this distinction.

They are based in Pietermaritzburg - the capital of Natal.

Kev - to give you a little more info. The Regiment was formed in 1855 - so they were certainly fighting in the

Boer War. However, you will note that the Crown is either Edward 7th. or. King George 5th.. They began to wear

white helmets from 1894 - but, with the Crown it would seem more likely that your helmet dates to between the wars.

I have been waiting for you to ask the value - Rands 150 - 200 ( pounds 15-20). Please measure the height and send

another picture with the reverse - this doesn't look big enough for the helmet.

My avatar is a Natal Carbineers helmet badge with a Queen's crown (i.e. Victorian) and it is of the type worn during the Boer War, but only on formal occasions. The Carbineers on active service wore soft hats with the left side turned up and attached to the crown with a smaller cap badge similar to the one in post #1, but without the "Royal" and with a slightly off-set Queen's Crown, which was replaced by a King's crown after Victoria's death.

Brett