News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Could Victorian soldiers vote?

Hello all,

Could enlisted British soldiers in the 19th century vote? The legislation surrounding suffrage changed massively during this period, and at the end of the 19th century the only requirement was that one be an adult male with a house or who paid rent. This would appear to exclude soldiers living in barracks.

A brief search in the index of a few common histories of the army in the period didn't turn anything up, although my search was by no means extensive. Admittedly, most soldiers probably wouldn't have voted if they were able to, but it's interesting to consider if they even had the right to do so if they wished.

TTFN,

~TS

• 3 weeks later...

Probably of no interest but if I'm correct they were regarded as Absent Voters and pre-1914 Household Voting Lists, do show them by their service i.e. Navy or Army; By 1918, vast volumes of them known as the "Absent Voters List" appeared for those serving in the Great War and I have copies of these for nearly all of Northumberland & Durham. I also have Voters Registration cards in my collection for those serving during this period.

Edited by Graham Stewart

In the USA, voting by enlisted and officers was actively discouraged until WW II. On occasion, ships were sent to sea over election day to assure that no one would vote. The tradition endured with some officers; an admiral with whom I served in the '60's wouldn't vote, and wouldn't allow his wife to vote. He was Class of '32 at the Naval Academy.

The idea was to assure that they could faithfully serve the political leadership from either party.

Is anyone else familiar with this?

Hugh

Edited by Hugh

Hugh,

The norm is still around, but it's considered anachronistic. The recently retired General David Petraeus stopped voting as a Major General so he could serve administrations of both parties in high posts. A few years ago a class brief here at the Academy was given on the topic of voting officers by a retired Colonel who insists soldiers should never even consider voting - while I wasn't present, I was told second-hand by both Instructors and Cadets that the question-and-answer session afterward consisted largely of vicious attacks on him and his ideas.

I don't vote myself, although most Cadets here do. I find the politicization of the officer corps alarming. Military professionals should not be off fighting the culture wars. But, given the growing religiosity that's accepted (even expected) of our young officers, it's unsurprising.

TTFN,

~TS

How fascinating - even when serving I still had the chance to vote by proxy, but don't think I did. The way I've always looked at it, was that I was voting for those who could serve my country best and have voted for all three major political parties at various times. My dad was an ex-Grenadier Guard, a miner and Labour Party voter through and through. I think he was a bit put out when I voted for Maggie when I left the Navy in 1981, but even he got fed up with some of left wingers in the end and voted Conservative.

Hugh,

The norm is still around, but it's considered anachronistic. The recently retired General David Petraeus stopped voting as a Major General so he could serve administrations of both parties in high posts. A few years ago a class brief here at the Academy was given on the topic of voting officers by a retired Colonel who insists soldiers should never even consider voting - while I wasn't present, I was told second-hand by both Instructors and Cadets that the question-and-answer session afterward consisted largely of vicious attacks on him and his ideas.

I don't vote myself, although most Cadets here do. I find the politicization of the officer corps alarming. Military professionals should not be off fighting the culture wars. But, given the growing religiosity that's accepted (even expected) of our young officers, it's unsurprising.

TTFN,

~TS

We need to get back to the old norm: No discussion of politics, sex or religion in the wardroom / mess. It'll simplify life and promote unit cohesion.

H