News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unusual PM jewel

wm5806

Here's an unusual Past Master's jewel from Royds Lodge (1204) which meets at Malvern, Worcs.

I say 'unusual' in that whilst it does have an illustration of the Master's square and 47th preposition of Euclid (what we all call the 'problem'), they are rather atypically incorporated into the design, rather than hanging from the bottom. Also, no fancy enamel plaque, which was the norm around then.

The jewel has a bar for a second term as WM.

Hope you like it,

WM5806

[attachmentid=25145]

Edited by wm5806

Not sure of the symbolism, but I think it's fairly safe to assume that the Lodge being consecrated in 1867 was named after the then new Provincial Grand Master, R.W. Bro. Albert Hudson Royds (1866-78). There is a prominent Rochdale banker of the same name and active in a similar period, but I do not know if they are one and the same (perhaps unlikely).

I wonder if the symbolism depicts some feature of either Worcester Cathedral or Malvern Priory?

WM5806