News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Danes in the British Army 1945-48

Some of you might know me from the British Medal Forum, but I would like to share this medal with you here on GIMIC.

After the liberation of Denmark in May 1945, a special agreement between the British and Danish governments were made. This agreement made it possible for Danish citizen to enlist with the British Army.

2.449 Danes were accepted, and eventually served with 42 different British regiments, in 72 different locations, all over the world.

Most Danes were discharged in 1948, but some became British citizens, and served for many years. At least one retired as a Brigadier in the 1970'ies.

Last year, I was able to find a General Service Medal 1918-62 with Palestine 1945-48 clasp, to one of those Danes...

14196390 Gunner Jens Peter Schultz, Royal Artillery

13.3.1946 Jens Peter Schultz enlisted after his arrival in England, and was posted to 21st Training Regiment.

6.10.1946 - Jens was posted to 13th Anti-Tank Regiment R.A. in Palestine (Served in the regiment with at least 30 other Danes).

1.4.1947 - Unit redesignated 20th Anti-Tank Regiment R.A.

20.4.1948 - Jens was discharged and returned to Denmark.

I'm currently working on a Database/Project regarding Danes in the Commonwealth Forces. It can be found here: http://danes-at-war.dk/

If some of you have British medals to Danes they would like to part with - please let me know!

Also, if someone has info on Danes serving with the Commonwealth Forces - please contact me.

Best regards,

Bjoern Klausen

Denmark

Thanks Mervyn,

All Danes in British service after the war was numbered between 14194900 and 14197400. So if anyone stumble over anything realting to these servicenumbers, please let me know.

I my research I have found at least 25 Danes who became officers, 12 died in the service http://danes-at-war.dk/index.php/roll-of-honour and between 800-1000 saw service in Palestine, and was eventually awarded the above mentioned medal.

Looking forward to further responses.

Bjoern

Bjoern,

You may be interested in following up on this interesting fellow:

Anker Rentse

Birth: Jun. 21, 1895, Denmark

Death: Aug. 25, 1950, Kelantan, Malaysia

A Danish national, he went at a young age to work on a plantation in Malaya. In 1927 he settled in the Kelantan Sultanate and in 1933 was appointed Irrigation Officer, a position he held until the Japanese invasion. He previously held the rank of Captain in the British Army Intelligence Corps and served in Calcutta, India during World War II. He was the Civil Affairs Officer for Kelantan in 1945. At the time of his death, he was the land development officer for Kelantan.

Mr. Rentse had an avid interest in the history, people and cultures of Malaya and wrote numerous scholarly books and articles during his lifetime.

In October 1949, he received the United States of America Medal of Freedom with Bronze Palm in recognition of distinguished service in the cause of the Allies.

He was a passenger on RAF Dakota KN630 when it crashed deep in the Malaysian jungle near Kampung Jendera in Gua Musang, killing eight British servicemen and three Malaysian civilians. The crash happened when the country was struggling with communist insurgents, a period known as the Malayan Emergency (1948-60), when British, Commonwealth and other security forces in Malaya fought the insurgents. Due to the rugged terrain and risk of attack for the rescue party, the 12 were buried in a shallow grave near the aircraft wreckage. Their remains were recovered in 2008 and after identification through DNA analysis, were reburied on March 15, 2012 at the Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery in Cheras.

The Britons who perished were identified as RAF crew pilot Lt Edward Robert Talbot, navigator Sgt Geoffrey Carpenter, and signaller Sgt Thomas O'Toole DFM. The Royal Army Service Corps air despatchers were Cpl Philip Bryant, and drivers Pte Peter Taylor, Pte Roy Wilson and Pte Oliver Goldsmith along with army officer Major John Proctor. The Malaysians were police constable Mohammed Abdul Jalil, civilian Yaacob Mamat and an Orang Asli guide, Saiap Alais Sherda, from the Sakai tribe.

Burial: Kuala Lumpur (Cheras Road) Civil Cemetery

Created by: Milou

Record added: Mar 19, 2012

Find A Grave Memorial# 87067269

Despite the article, Rentse actually retired as a Major in the Indian Army.

Cheers,

James

Bkoern,

I also hope you will not forget the various members of the Danish Royal Family and their appointments in the British Armed Forces. The long association with the Buffs, from Prince George of Denmark at the turn of the eighteenth century (perhaps the only person ever to have borne the rank of Generalissimo) down to his namesake Prince Georg of Denmark during the 1970s, and not to be forgotten Her present Majesty!

Cheers,

James