News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Fairbain Sykes... any help?

lavagna

Can anybody help with this Fairbain Sykes dagger.

It's my first purchase and am not sure of its pattern, date or even if it is real!

untitled4.png

untitled3.png

untitled2.png

untitled.png

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Bruce

Bruce - it looks like a 2nd pattern. Is there a maker's name on the cross guard ?

The general wear and tear seems to indicate a correct age - however, I;m not sure on the straight

cross guard - usually they have a curve. However, different makers can use different styles.

Go back through this Forum - we had a big section on these daggers some time ago. Mervyn

At the price it went for, it's a great deal. It looks like it has age and may be a virgin or unmarked dagger. Lucky I was out fishing and missed the end of the auction or i would have bought it myself. Kind regards Strapper

Thanks Mervyn,

It's going on the dagger rack with the Naval Midshipman dagger I bought from your shop a few weeks ago.

I've always wanted to get one but because I don't know anything about them I was always a bit apprehensive.

This was bit of an impulse buy and when it went at the low price I started to get worried that I may have bought a repro. The weird elastic strap on the scabbard did not inspire much confidence.

There are no markings anywhere!

Regards

Bruce

It's what unmarked daggers were called, some military units did not allow makers marks on the daggers. Not sure why, but Wilkenson made some and so did Rodgers and Nowell. I'm sure a search on the web or Snyders web site will give more info. And no fish...a southerly was blowing. Damn. Kind regards Strapper.

Bruce - there is something I want to check out for you - and that is the scabbard. I have only recently found out

that Australian Forces used a different pattern leather scabbard for the jungle and this looks like the pattern. Should it be then you had a real

bargain. The 'knicker' elastic to hold the hilt is quite correct. Mervyn

ps. I'm keeping the shop for another year - or, until I 'drop dead' - whichever is first. Call in when you are next

in Durban.