News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British Court Sword 19th Century

Evening chaps,

New member here, though some of you may have seen me around other forums such as WAF, WRF, and GHW. My particular field is German helmets 1916-45, but I often come across other interesting items. Besides my helmets I like bladed weapons in particular.

I have seen this sword and would like some feedback if possible. It's being sold as the title reads, but I have no experience with this type of weapon. The scabbard has had a repair towards the tip. I apologise for the pictures, the sword is being sold as a lot with the other, listed as an Italian officers sword. Comments on the second weapon are welcome also, no scabbard with this one.

The asked price is £85 for the pair including postage costs.

Thanks for your time.

Krad - the larger sword has engraving on the blade and may well be Italian - are there no markings anywhere?

The guard looks to be Aluminium - and seems very large for the sword - any signs of interference ?

The smaller sword does look like a court sword - but for which country - again, any marks ?

The style is of the 18th C - but this doesn't mean that was when it was made. The lack of a scabbard does

detract from the price.

The price of 85 pounds is not a high one for two swords - but , only you can decide if they are worth that to you.

Personally, I would advise finding better examples - but, that's only my opinion. Mervyn

Hi Mervyn, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I don't have them in hand yet and these are the only pics I have to go on. I have to admit I would be buying them with a view to sell them on in the future most likely. To clarify the smaller sword with brass fittings is the one that comes with the scabbard, the larger 'Italian' one with the potentially aluminium guard is without scabbard. I presume aluminium is a red flag? I don't know about any markings yet I will contact the seller for more details. During my brief research into these I've found that British court swords are marked with the relevant monarch? EIIR etc.

I'm familiar with 'worldwide arms' and their repro weapons, which was my main concern.

cheers!

Krad - that explains the damage to the leather scabbard - unless they are held upright to sheathe the sword

they tend to crack and break.

There were two types of Court swords - a civilian pattern - worn at Levees and formal gatherings. The Military

version was known as a Levee sword and was a very thin blade. Usually, in a Regt. only the Colonel and the Senior

Major would have one.

We will have to wait and see if we can find some markings to pin a Country down. Mervyn