News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Dublin Fusiliers - mystery insignia

Hi,

Something totally different, what I haven't seen before (okey, I am a beginner and I haven't seen much) and I know I am not only one.

I don't know the measurements (and I do not own these pictures below), so it is harder this way, put lets have a go.

Whats sure:

- it is made around 1881-1922 - based on (grenade) details, is it possible to narrow the period down more.

- it is some kind an insignia to 2nd battalion as stated on the scroll, so at least we know which battalion to look into. I think it is very unusual, that the scroll under tiger and elephant carries battalion motto instead of regimental name.

- must be scarse enough because anything like this haven't been officially recorded

Ideas (what I have heard):

- because tiger's tale is down, is it possible to be sure that this badge was in use more likelly around 1903-1922?

- because it's unusual shape and attachment system, can it be some kind a baldrick ornament (new word, what I learned today!);)

- I checked all of my RDF books and pictures on them, but unfortunately no luck to find anything like that on the shots.

If anything similar excisted to other regiments, maybe it's a good way as well to ID it. Meantime, something so regimental level designed, can't be common but lets see what anothers think.

Any help, ideas to ID the badge, would be great!

2057558394c6d8_o.jpg

2057558580e94a_o.jpg

• 1 year later...

Noor - item one crtainly looks as though it may be some sort of band ornament and depending on the size could be worn with either the balderick or as a musicians pouch badge. Sadly we rarely see what the band is wearing on it's pouches or indeed what a band uniform looks like from the rear. I now have my second 'band' uniform for the Northumberlands c.1930's, which has additional white piping to the rear, something which you don't see on band photo's as they're always facing you.

One other badge that might fit the bill for item one is the possibility that it may be an pioneers 'apron' badge. When parading the Pioneer Section generally wore a white leather apron and the lower left corner was folded towards the centre and pinned in place with a badge, which in the case of Fusilier Regiments took the form of a grenade.