News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Landwehr Dienstauszeichnung - Wurttemberg

Hello,

Can anyone shed more light on the Landwehr Dienstauszeichnung from Wurttemberg?, For what was it awarded? Wich grades do exist, was anyone eligable?, etc ... etc ...

Much questions on a common award but i would like to know.

Cordial greetings + thanks in advance,

Guest Rick Research

The second class brooch (from 1913, medal) was given to all ranks. Only officers received the 1st class.

2nd Classes were freakish things in all the German armies and navy. The "average" was 12 years of reserve and Landwehr call ups for a few weeks of annual summer maneuvers and that sort of thing. It always required specific (and VERY complicated-- I know the PRUSSIAN regulations-- don't ask! :speechless1::speechless1::rolleyes: ) months/weeks/days of activated service, counted in different ways. That's why I say the "average" usually came out to 12 years. But there were holders of the XX who got that for mere calendar years on the rolls who never had even the minimal called up time an LD2 required.

LD2s were also granted to non-career military personnel who took part in a war. So a reservist who had been drafted 1867-69 and was called up for the war of 1870-71, immediately qualified for one. That is why NO LD2s were awarded after the World War-- it would have required MILLIONS of awards to draftees.

Hello,

Oh my, that is clear :unsure::speechless:

So lets get a bit theoretical, could a active WW1 officer receive such a Landwehr DA ? For example where they issued during the war? or do they date from before the big war when they are found on a medal bar with some other lametta ?

Cordial greetings,