News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Legion of Honour 5 th Republic?

Les Anderson

Hi

This Legion of Honour appears to be from the 5th Republic (Post 1962?) but I’m not sure if its an original medal.

I have noticed the general manufacture of the medal is not as good as other ones I have seen. Also the inscription on both side of the medal differs from other examples. There appears to be no makers mark as well

I would appreciated any comments

This is one of the horrible current private productions made at low cost...

They are usually made in bad metal and plastic.

A funny thing to be mentioned is the reverse with "Honneur & Patrie", with the use of a "&" which is a mistake in good French. The right motto is "Honneur et Patrie". "&" is only use for commercial purposes, like "Arthus-Bertrand & Cie" for example.

Therefore, it is likely that this terrible cross was not made in France.

... and it is worth to mention that in France the medals are not provided by the state when you are nominated in the Order. Each individual has to buy his cross and is free to choose the quality.

From the beginning of the XXth century, the Mint has lost his exclusive privilege to strike the official medals. However, its production remains the "official" reference.

That is why we find a large variety of models, which cannot actually be qualified as "copies" strictly said since they can be worn by the true recipients.

Anyway, this one is a foul taste...

On a related note...

5th Republic?? I was led to believe the current model is the 4th Republic model, that there is no real 5th Republic variant because they didn't change a thing on the award; and that the 3 star and the single star variants only denoted different makers...

Am I in left field here? :unsure:

Edited by TacHel

Hi TacHel,

The difference lays on the reverse. On the 5th Republic model there is the additional mention "29 Floréal an X", which stands for the 19th of May 1804 according to the revolutionary calendar.

On the 4th Republic model, there is only "Honneur et Patrie".

The number of stars, dots, flowers and other embellishments around are not significant enough to qualify a maker or a period.

Hi TacHel,

The difference lays on the reverse. On the 5th Republic model there is the additional mention "29 Floréal an X", which stands for the 19th of May 1804 according to the revolutionary calendar.

On the 4th Republic model, there is only "Honneur et Patrie".

The number of stars, dots, flowers and other embellishments around are not significant enough to qualify a maker or a period.

I can't believe I hadn't noticed that before... What I believed to be a 4th Republic officer's badge in my collection is actually a 5th Republic piece. :blush:

Thanks for the info! :cheers: