News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of St. John - Ladies Medal

Gentlemen,

Recently obtained in a family lot, this medal came in its Carrington case. The reverse is engraved,

G.M.M. MacKenzie

23rd February 1904

Is this a scarce medal and is there any way in which the recipient could be researched?

Many thanks,

Owain

Hi Owain,

The Order of St John will look up their records for you if you write to their London headquarters. I have heard there is a fee but that it is worth it. I don't have the address on hand but a web search will turn it up. It is something Gate, I believe. Someone on here will know for sure. I have the whole set of the St John medals. They are very attractive to me - something about the clean lines and stark colouring of black and white (with some silver and gold thrown in with some of them). I have never got around to researching them - leaving that until I am retired.

Good luck.

Greg.

Greg,

Thank you for you advice. This medal, as noted with no documentation, was with a lot which included a Chinese Red Cross Order/Medal (see specific post under China / SE Asia). The other medals in the lot included a 1935 Jubilee Medal which appears to relate to the 1st Baron Amulree (formerly Sir William Mackenzie) and thus the St. John's medal could be that of his wife or another close female relative. The other medals (1953 Coronation & 1977 Jubilee) related to his son, the 2nd Lord Amulree, who was a distinguished physician.

Regards,

Owain

Here's the address for you, Owain: -

The Priory of England & The Islands

St John's Gate

Clerkenwell

London

ECIM 4DA

What you have, by the way, is the badge of a Serving Sister of the Order.