News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Jewels from occupational Lodges

wm5806

Many Lodges are/were formed by existing Brethren who had a common interest, whether that be a hobby, school, university, regiment or, in this case, a common occupation.

The jewels below are from Carbon Lodge (no. 2910) for those working at the London Coal Exchange (note the mining trolley on top of the bar and a Davie lamp at the bottom), Telephone Lodge (no.3301) which I think was for those in the old GPO, and finally in this post, Electra Lodge (no.5124) formed by those in the electricity industry.

Has anyone got any more?

WM5806

[attachmentid=26089][attachmentid=26090][attachmentid=26091]

Wow those founders Jewels are beautiful items. How much would you pay for one of those.

Hi Tom

Price would vary with age, intricacy, metal (silver-gilt or gold), etc. My best guess of the market value of these would be (left to right) ?100-130, ?90-120, ?70-80.

The carbon Lodge is particularly intricate with a beautiful enamel and quite old (1902), the Telephone Lodge a little newer (1908) and the Electra Lodge newer still (1929).

WM5806

Here's a Past Master's jewel from Hortus Lodge (no. 2469), a Lodge formed for Covent Garden traders. Covent Garden is the site of an ancient fruit and vegetable street market in London, not far from the headquarters of the United Grand Lodge of England at Great Queen Street.

[attachmentid=26246]

Quadragesimus octavus - forty eighth (Master of the Lodge)

Hortula Boni Omnes - Horticulturalists are all good? My Latin is appaling, sorry

WM5806